house fire 12-27-16 Fc227

fc227

1986 Grand National
Greetings all,

I know I have not been posting as much as I use to . But I wanted to share this with my Buick Buddies.

We had a serious house fire 2 days after Christmas. My electric blanket caught on fire , while I was a sleep. I tired to put it out , burnt my hand and ended up spending a night in the Hospital.

We lost everything inside the house, The outside walls that where behind sheet rock look to be OK. Some of the roof will have to be replaced. because the joist and rafters are burnt .

They just finished asbestos's abatement yesterday on the interior of the house (The house is over 100years old, Built by my Great Grandfather when he came over form Italy ). Looks like I have enough coverage to get it repaired.

next week they start gutting the house and we go from there.

We are renting a trailer and staying on the property, the cost is the same has a hotel and is covered under the Insurance.

DAMN!
Freddie, glad you had minimal injuries. Fire is a real scary event to deal with.
My bud's shop took a lightning hit, and was on the ground in less than 20 mins. He lost his hotrods, 50 yrs of tools, except 1car, and his bike.
Fortunately, he had ins to cover all, except 1 car project.
A word of advice to other "car guys".....CHECK the policies. The first words out of the adjusters mouth, when he saw the cars, were "we do not cover car parts".
6 mo's later, he's still reconciling lists, finding receipts, to get paid for the tools. [About $75K].

Greetings all,

I know I have not been posting as much as I use to . But I wanted to share this with my Buick Buddies.

We had a serious house fire 2 days after Christmas. My electric blanket caught on fire , while I was a sleep. I tired to put it out , burnt my hand and ended up spending a night in the Hospital.

We lost everything inside the house, The outside walls that where behind sheet rock look to be OK. Some of the roof will have to be replaced. because the joist and rafters are burnt .

They just finished asbestos's abatement yesterday on the interior of the house (The house is over 100years old, Built by my Great Grandfather when he came over form Italy ). Looks like I have enough coverage to get it repaired.

next week they start gutting the house and we go from there.

We are renting a trailer and staying on the property, the cost is the same has a hotel and is covered under the Insurance.

Wow!! Sorry for your loss man! That has to be an emotional one at that (with your grandfather having built your home and all)!

We just lost everything to the massive flooding that hit South Louisiana back in August of last year. Like yours a portion of our house was over a hundred years old. However, we had just finished rebuilding everything (for the second time) from hurricane damage a few years before. Which ended up being my breaking point with our home, as I had vowed to never touch it again!

We were fortunate enough to have had flood insurance (even though technically we didn't need it - we had it for 18 years). So many folks we know were not so lucky. And this flooding was far more widespread than was reported in the media. In that, over 90% of our parish (county) alone flooded which was far more than their 100,000 houses being affected. Unfortunately though our snake farm agent hadn't been updating our flood policy amounts like she had our homeowners. And in spite of massive rate increases through the years we were way under insured.

We have moved on now, bought a smaller house (but it does have a soon to be smoking man cave)! And we are finishing out the upstairs too to make more room. But, the point is that it's hard to imagine what all you have lost that you will never recover (photos, keepsakes, trophies, etc). And you will spend months realizing what all is missing!

Prayers for you and your family man! Thankfully you are all alright! As it sounds as though that could have been far worse!

Good luck to you! And God Speed on your recovery / rebuild!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guy's. From the time I woke up, with the electric blanket @ my feet on fire to be full involved ~ 3 minutes. The Fire dept was there in ~ 3 minutes after the wife call them, which was about 1 minute into the fire. But all they had on them was the big fire extinguisher's , But it was too much. 2 minutes later the tankers where there. If it was not for them the house would have burnt to the ground .

Looks like everything behind the sheet rock survived, but we will know more when the place is gutted .

Volunteer firefighter/EMT for 30+ years (ret.)
Would'nt wish a house fire on my worst enemy.
Glad to hear you and yours are okay.
Prayers to all.

Glad your ok. Got to be a horrible thing to go through. Why did the blanket catch fire? I'd be going after the manufacture.

We had the electric blanket for many years, Older Sears model. Never had a issue with it until it went up in flames.

Sorry to hear about your loss. I had a co-worker gut his house some years back and he ended up buying an RV to live in while doing it. It costs less than renting somewhere else to live while construction was going. Mind you construction took a while because he was doing a lot of it himself, while keeping his day job. He actually really like staying in the RV. Said it was almost like camping.