Hotair build

8hotair5

So I've had my HA for about the months and I've already spun a rod bearing (go figure the new tr guy spinning a bearing). One thing I've noticed is the lack of info on ha compared to ic. I'm planning on doing as much of my build myself, hopefully with a lot if help from you hot air guys.

Before I start rushing into the garage and ripping her apart I need to plan the build. So I guess this is the first thing I need help with. I'm looking for a low 6 second ha and my wife to agree to a threesome;). But really a low 12 second car that is 90% street 8% garage and 2% strip would be nice. I'm sure I'll want to get in the 11's one day so I want to include that in the plan.

after I come up with a good plan I'll get everyone posted the purse of parts, tear down and build up. Hope to hear a lot of feedback and I'm sure someone will gave something funny to say.

Thanks in advance

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Port the heads and intake bore the block within specs run alky with complete exhaust work with a bigger turbo and all matching components and every month after can be April spools?!!! Lol

The best thing I ever did to build a HA is to get real good at using the search function, and read everything I had questions on, for a few years. Still reading, seriously.

Jerryl has given you the BEST ADVISE on a HOT AIR build... use the SEARCH button. Search the sticky section.... I have posted the HOTROD article on a 12 sec Duttweiler/HOT ROD build using mostly stock parts.... I can tell you DO NOT expect a 10 sec car over night... I have been on this Board since the original board was started... I have more miracle parts in my garage than I care to say... Best thing I can tell you is to research and learn. Many of us have invested in more part expecting fast and got slow. Research on tuning... YOU will tune your car better than anyone else... Take notes... Research...

If I were a Newbie now, first thing is to get car running right.... Depending on your goal, hot wire pump, remove clutch fan and replace with a electric fan, get a K&N Cone filter to fit on Mass Air. These mods will 25-30 hp. You will need to convert to a 86-87 ECM. Porting your heads will allow you to run less boost and gain at least 40hp. Ported stock heads will take you further than you can imagine. How ever, headers and a good downpipe will remove restrictions. EBAY headers have been modded by many and work. Down pipe is another story... You will have to get one made. The stock turbo is good to about 310-320hp, good enough to get in the 12's.

Jerryl has given you the BEST ADVISE on a HOT AIR build... use the SEARCH button. Search the sticky section.... I have posted the HOTROD article on a 12 sec Duttweiler/HOT ROD build using mostly stock parts.... I can tell you DO NOT expect a 10 sec car over night... I have been on this Board since the original board was started... I have more miracle parts in my garage than I care to say... Best thing I can tell you is to research and learn. Many of us have invested in more part expecting fast and got slow. Research on tuning... YOU will tune your car better than anyone else... Take notes... Research...

If I were a Newbie now, first thing is to get car running right.... Depending on your goal, hot wire pump, remove clutch fan and replace with a electric fan, get a K&N Cone filter to fit on Mass Air. These mods will 25-30 hp. You will need to convert to a 86-87 ECM. Porting your heads will allow you to run less boost and gain at least 40hp. Ported stock heads will take you further than you can imagine. How ever, headers and a good downpipe will remove restrictions. EBAY headers have been modded by many and work. Down pipe is another story... You will have to get one made. The stock turbo is good to about 310-320hp, good enough to get in the 12's.

Doesn't g body parts make a down pipe for hot airs.

Well guys here's the plan for my rebuild. From what I've read the stock setup is able to handle my twelve second goals, right? On the short block I'll just replace whatever NEEDS to be replaced and have everything else checked and cleaned up.

I'm not ready to dump a bunch of money into this bills because in young and still a lil dumb so I see myself doing this again in the future. I think I'm related to Miss Cleo:D

I'll keep you guys posted with several pictures and ever more question

Attachments

• 1403747894253.jpg
    1403747894253.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 152
  • 1403747916251.jpg
    1403747916251.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 179
I know you want to plan everything out, but you need to see what you need first. Get the engine out and checked before you go any further. That will help you decide what parts you may or may not need. If the crank's trashed then you have to decide where to go from there.;) If everything survived then figure out what else you may need.

It will be a couples weeks before I can get it out. Going on vacation for a week:( and with work and school I only have time on the weekens:mad:

This is what I know about the setup.

Walbro fuel pump with Hotwire kit
Street market exhaust not sure what brand but the muffler is tucked up behind the axle
87 ecm
Scanmaster 2.0
Lt1 coils and maf with translator
Cone air filter
F body rad
Jeep half shaft
Posi track not sure what gears
Bigger swat bars front and rear (not sure if the size)
And a uninstalled spearco intercooler and plumbing

This is what I know about the setup.

Walbro fuel pump with Hotwire kit
Street market exhaust not sure what brand but the muffler is tucked up behind the axle
87 ecm
Scanmaster 2.0
Lt1 coils and maf with translator
Cone air filter
F body rad
Jeep half shaft
Posi track not sure what gears
Bigger swat bars front and rear (not sure if the size)
And a uninstalled spearco intercooler and plumbing

Based on your current mods, someone put you in a GOOD position with the above mods. You would be advised to get car running good and get a baseline... Check all vacuum lines (Get schematic diagram for Vacuum route). Replace all questionable ones and use zip ties. Exhaust leaks need to be fixed. Passenger side headers are notorious for leaks. Gaskets could need to be replaced with copper permatex. Check TPS setting, fuel pressure. Hopefully you are using a TT chip (Turbo Tweak). Get the number off of chip and Eric at TT can tell you about the chip.

Take a picture under the hood, the exhaust muffler/setup and maybe we can help identify some of what you have.

Well guys here's the plan for my rebuild. From what I've read the stock setup is able to handle my twelve second goals, right? On the short block I'll just replace whatever NEEDS to be replaced and have everything else checked and cleaned up.

I'm not ready to dump a bunch of money into this bills because in young and still a lil dumb so I see myself doing this again in the future. I think I'm related to Miss Cleo:D

I'll keep you guys posted with several pictures and ever more question

That's a good looking car, any profile shots that show the wheels? I really like the color.

OP, You in Houston? How many miles in the car and where did you purchase it? (I may have some good history on the car.)

Three car had 145k when I got get from a guy named Robert. He has 2 gn's and another t-type the same color as mine with bench seats super clean and a brown rev. I think is a 77. When I was buying the car his brother was telling he is the president or on the board of a Buick club.

The car I on the hotair registry for Houston

I was able to find a couple more pics in my phone

Attachments

• 1403792273783.jpg
    1403792273783.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 130
  • 1403792319051.jpg
    1403792319051.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 147
It's also has 42# injectors I'll take a pic of the chip later