Hot Air Stroker

Bob Lob-Law

I'm getting ready to start the rebuild on my Hot Air. I was wondering if anybody here has ever built a Hot Air stroker? Would it be something I could/should do or is the cost difference too much?

The cost is about the same. Parts are the same cost.
Kind of a waste to do that build on a hot air.
Are you converting to '87?
How much money do you want to spend and how fast do you want to go?

I got some black powder coated valve covers for a hot air if interested

Thanks for the replys. I currently have two 84 TTypes. I have just finished converting one of them to the 87 IC and it was a very long and expensive project. The second one I want to leave as a HA, however, I do want some power in the engine. I just got finished tearing the block down and found a ton of metal shavings. The previous owner put an incredible torque on the rods and the bearings self destructed. So, since I have a couple of spare 109 blocks, I want to build one up to be a HA motor. I was just thinking that a stroker would be a nice addition of some power if it didn't cost too much extra.

Its a waste if your still stuck in the 12's......

Is the assumption that a HA can’t get out of the 12’s, or that a HA stroker will max out and still be in the 12’s?
Regardless what the OP decides, I am “here to” and “willing to” learn from the experts.

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Send the manifold to Extrude Hone and tell them to go nuts with it. We know the intake manifold is restrictive.
2. Ported heads can only help.
3. Turbo to make the power. I still like Comp Turbo triple ball bearing units. They spool stupid fast.
4. Convert to E85 and you wont need an intercooler.
5. A good converter with higher stall speed.

Just my thoughts

Here are some ideas I had.

1. Send the manifold to Extrude Hone and tell them to go nuts with it. We know the intake manifold is restrictive.
2. Ported heads can only help.
3. Turbo to make the power. I still like Comp Turbo triple ball bearing units. They spool stupid fast.
4. Convert to E85 and you wont need an intercooler.
5. A good converter with higher stall speed.

Just my thoughts
Actually that is what I am doing for the most part. I have the GBodayparts ported manifold an I am getting the upgraded turbo. For the heads, I am wanting to go with ported heads. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the extra coin to do aluminums. I will probably just stick with the irons.
Thanks for the input.

You have to identify and build around the limitations of the fuel and combo. For the turbo and cam, go straight to Bison.

Hell . . . Also pistons, ECU, lifters, etc. Lol

Last edited:
Is the assumption that a HA can’t get out of the 12’s, or that a HA stroker will max out and still be in the 12’s?
Regardless what the OP decides, I am “here to” and “willing to” learn from the experts.

I think Lee was in the 10's back in the 90's so maybe talk to him..

The term "stroker" implies steel crank, rods, internal balance with heavy metal, internal balancer and flex plate...==$$$$$$$$ to run how fast????
Why do that when you can run mid tens on stock crank, rods, balancer, flex plate, cheaper balance and put that money in the heads and very extensive intake work.

Heads, cam, major intake work and E85....
Just my opinion...

Also, I wouldn't waste a good 109 on a hot air build. A good 14 bolt block will get the job done..

I think Lee was in the 10's back in the 90's so maybe talk to him..

The term "stroker" implies steel crank, rods, internal balance with heavy metal, internal balancer and flex plate...==$$$$$$$$ to run how fast????
Why do that when you can run mid tens on stock crank, rods, balancer, flex plate, cheaper balance and put that money in the heads and very extensive intake work.

Heads, cam, major intake work and E85....
Just my opinion...

Also, I wouldn't waste a good 109 on a hot air build. A good 14 bolt block will get the job done..

I am *not* a believer in strokers in a 3.8 bore, so I understand and agree. I realize not everyone has "something to prove" or is out to "set a record", and *think* the OP is going to run a 93 pump gas tune . . . so a lot of this blah blah blah advise is a moot point.

I am *not* a believer in strokers in a 3.8 bore, so I understand and agree. I realize not everyone has "something to prove" or is out to "set a record", and *think* the OP is going to run a 93 pump gas tune . . . so a lot of this blah blah blah advise is a moot point.
Understand, however, I really like hearing what people's opinions are. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I need all of that in order to come to an informed decision.

Understand, however, I really like hearing what people's opinions are. There is a lot of knowledge on this forum and I need all of that in order to come to an informed decision.
I hope my earlier reply wasn't taken out of context and I am trying to help.
What I was trying to say is . . . Advice can't be given unless the goal is clearly understood.

Depending the hp goal, the combo will be limited by a few things and in this case octane and the tune. IOW . . Aluminum heads and stroke will be a waste, unless the tune is going to be right and the octane available to increase mass flow. Cylinder pressures will increase drastically with ported heads and you need to be able to keep th in check or it will detonate. Timing needs to be verified and I would exect boost limit to be about 9-13 psi on 93 pump ported irons and around 8.5:1 CR with clean injectors and verified timing.

The turbo, PS exh, and down pipe will need to be replaced to take advantage of ported heads as the drive pressure will be unfavorable territory quickly with stock parts and a small responsive turbo. The gutted manifold will be a big help but you need to focus on #2 as this is the flow limitation for equal balance.

Switch to e85 and or alky injection and the system operating restriction moves elsewhere. Good luck.

Final comment before I bow out.

If you have a 109, it's not a waste. You already own the block so why not use it? Finding a 14 bolt block may not be as easy as it appears. The 109 block is not superior in strength so it's not an advantage to use it for a higher HP build.

Member Steve V in your thread . . . PM him and ship him a block, Have him build the short block at a minimum. You will be happy you did.

If you want a complete 9 sec capable HA engine setup, PM Boost231.

Hope that helps.

I noticed you said to convert your hotair you stated it was a long and expensive project . Would you have gained more power building your hotair . ?Building a hotair block and a intercooled block would cost the same and you would get more power out of the intercooled motor. Personally I would just build a nice intercooled motor . And as far as aluminum heads go if you do get them port them to make them worth swapping. If you just bolt on aluminum heads you would be getting about the same power as a ported set of irons . So if going aluminum heads just doing the basic porting on them really improves the flow and would make it worth swapping .