Hot Air Intake Mods

JayC

T6P.Com/TB.com Administrator/Webmaster
Staff member
Here's some photos of the beginning of our hotair intake mod. This will be a fairly extensive mod and I feel should make the 84 intake perform on par with an 87 intake. As we get more done, Ill post a few more pictures.

SDC12946.jpg

SDC12945.jpg

We're fairly certain that it should perform on par with an 87 intake. We're doing some pretty extensive reworking inside which isnt really shown in the photo above. I also dont want to tip our hand too heavily because this is a mod we can offer to anyone that wants to get it done. It's just going to be a very time consuming process but externally, you wont be able to tell anything was done to the intake.

jay, great to see the photos. in the pictures above so far it looks like you just cut the center divider out. i know its not done just what i see in the pictures.

you still going to run the side zip tubes which will then go to the main airbox air where the runners are?

kinda curious why you are going this route over a ported stocker. ported stockers have go high 10's so far and should be going mid 10's by the end of the year.:eek:

jay, great to see the photos. in the pictures above so far it looks like you just cut the center divider out. i know its not done just what i see in the pictures.

you still going to run the side zip tubes which will then go to the main airbox air where the runners are?

kinda curious why you are going this route over a ported stocker. ported stockers have go high 10's so far and should be going mid 10's by the end of the year.:eek:

Mainly because everyone knows the stock intake kind of sucks. We're keeping the side runners in but we're using them as dividers, not actual runners. This is a major reworking of this intake. What I posted pictures of is just step 1.

thats what i ment. side runners not dividers since its going into one intake area. the two runners are running into the main box.

i agree the intake sucks. now if we could get our alky nozzles further away from the runners that would be great. problem is where talking about 12iches when i would like to see 24

how cool! nice pics too. thanks jay! i know alot of guys have hogged out the divider and runners and reported better performance, but i "think" i've seen lee thompson comment that its a bad idea to do that cause of idling issues. do you think there will be any issues with that jay?
i'm going to halt the mods on my intake in case this ends up working really well. that being the case,... would you be interested in doing more of these intakes jay?

how cool! nice pics too. thanks jay! i know alot of guys have hogged out the divider and runners and reported better performance, but i "think" i've seen lee thompson comment that its a bad idea to do that cause of idling issues. do you think there will be any issues with that jay?
i'm going to halt the mods on my intake in case this ends up working really well. that being the case,... would you be interested in doing more of these intakes jay?

We'll do more of them.

What we're doing, from what I understand, is going to be different than what anyone else has done with one of these. What I posted in the pictures is just step one. We're completely reshaping the inside of the plenum and the path the air follows.

I can certainly see how a plenum that big can cause idle issues if you leave it wide open. We're not leaving it wide open, we have other plans.

awesome!!! if results turn out to be as good as planned, then i'll have my intake all ready to send to you. how cool that your going in from the bottom! totally stealth.

Mainly because everyone knows the stock intake kind of sucks. ...

i agree the intake sucks. ...

Jay & Brent:

I would disagree to a point. The stock intake worked well as designed; and met the production requirements of: easily cast in a foundry, emission compliant, low noise, and wide power band from idle up to 4500-5000 RPM.

That said; the stock intake is not quite a performance piece. After saz-alling a couple over the years; I’ll say that a vertical mill is the way to go.

I’ve still got Brent’s old manifold (he never did tell me what he moved up to). There are still some pictures on the ad http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/parts-sale/218028-hot-air-performance-v1-intake.html but I’ll try to get some more if you would like them.

Please keep updating your progress Jay.

His old intake isnt anything like what we're doing. Ive got some other pictures but I need to upload them. Ill try to do that this morning.

Probably the last pictures Im going to post as anything else will basically be giving away what we're planning on doing.

SDC12953.jpg

SDC12952.jpg

Thanks for at least posting this much. I've been wondering what the insides loooked like and this will help me on the C/T intake. It gives me some ideas of what I'm going to do now.

Jay, are you going to flow this intake after the mods and see if each cylinder is getting even flow? Also you going to flow a stock one and see the difference? Maybe flow a ported stocker like the one I run to see how it compares?

Also are you going to show us more later on? info like this could really open things up some more for us hotair guys. Nothing to hide right? Just wanting to see how this turns out and flows.

Will you do more if we want them?

How much?

Thanks

I dont know if we'll flow it or not. The only place around that has a flow bench charges a million dollars to flow stuff so I dont know if we will or wont. Would be an interesting test but I see no reason this intake wont work on par with an 87 one.

Probably the last pictures Im going to post as anything else will basically be giving away what we're planning on doing.

Like a good magician; never reveal your gimmick. But; everyone is going to be waiting on the time-slip numbers.

jay, not trying to start anything just asking questions.

how do we know the stock intake doesnt flow as good as the 87 intake? has anyone ever flowed both?

i know you would think as well as i, it doesnt flow as good but, what does the #'s say?

do we know if the stock heads can even flow as much as the stock intake?

it would be nice to see some flow numbers before and after. :frown: do you have any kind of estimate on price jay?