Hot Air Hot Air

alb84

Grumpy, Greasy, Old
Ok. I'm sorry if you don't understand the buicks waste spark system. You really should'nt assume that I have not used Nos on my 84 though. As I have spent several hours in the pits trying to get my turbo put back on in the dark in time for the next race. Have you used NOS on a hot air before? I back my boost off from its normal 20 lbs to 17 when I run the NOS. When I hit the button it jumps to 21LBS. I really don't want to argue with anyone on this board, and I won't. I am just shareing my experience. Do what you like with the information. It worked for me. After 14+ years of driveing, raceing, and building my 84 GNs I still do not claim to know everything about them. I will think twice before saying anything next time. Later.....Danny

'84 GN owner here too...

I tried NOS when I first bought the car...I'm not an expert and I sought help from someone who is an expert on the subject (and that would be Terry Penner) and I also tried a couple alky kits before going to Steve Chlupsa's offering.

I did not intend to chew your head off... it was however a blanket comment to the many so-called experts making commentary and it surely leaves many of us onlookers wondering why do they even post? I posted my feelings on the subject because it gets old and the information is confusing.

You mention your normal boost is 20lbs. I'm curious is that a track only setting or your every day driver setting? Hot-Air or intyercooled? The stock wastegate actuator without modification will only push 12lbs on an '84/'85 car. I have tracked other's posts over the last 5+ years and watched their open dismay when some owners after installing a boost guage found out their boost was even lower than that 12lbs figure.

I seen a best of 19lbs with the Translator Plus setup on the hot-air motor on 91 octane pump gas and that's in Colorado's high altitude. I would assume you'd need more octane to go higher than that figure on an everyday driver or be willing to accept some knock.

The stock boost settings works fine with NOS... especially as it jumps 4 to 5 lbs in boost when the system is activated.

I learn something new every time I'm out in the garage. The challenge of this car is what has kept me owning it. Otherwise it would have been sold by now like my previous projects ('55 Chevy, '72 Nova SS with M22 4 speed/402BB, '72 Camaro, '88 GT Mustang) The '84 GN is definitely different and as you already know very few folks around who can assist you with the project. For most part we are a tight community and those who don't fit in "vanish" over time (usually after they blow it up).