Hot air hopes are now finished

Toby_Goodmk

Test Fit officianto
Guys I loved being different to the intercooled guys but this morning the last straw broke when my turbo shaft broke. I was doing nothing but driving to work, then bam....white smoke everywhere. Granted this was a stock unit waiting to get back my new 6262, that the carbon seal went out of that one after 20 miles.....anyways...I thought I would post on here for the mass respect I have for anyone keeping it stock. I am to the point where I cannot enjoy the car anymore with the KR or slew of carbon seals that keep going out, or etc etc.... I just want to drive the car. The conversion makes sense to me.

If you look in the sales section I will be dumping all my very nice gently used performance items, as well as the stock items from the endless powder coated brackets/pulleys to the wiring harness, ported intake, 3" down pipe, etc...

If you have any interest please look me up!

This could happen even if you do a IC conversion Toby. Don't sell a damn thing right now but let things sit for a while. I really do know how frustrated you are with things. My car was supposed to be, fix the rust, do the engine and tranny, then suspension and body bushings. It's turned into a full frame off so it's not near as simple as I thought it would be. She's been sitting for a while and I do little things to it once in a while, but I'm just about to do the engine and tranny positioning as well as the frame swap, since the frame was rotten. Take a break and let things sit for a while before you spend more on it just to do a conversion that can do the same exact thing.:eek:

jerryl Ill get you some pictures tomorrow, been out at a buddys place collecting IC parts

Toby, I share your pain as I have about given up on Hot Air Regals as parts are almost non-exsistent and/or stupid expensive, and aging of the cars, and me, has dispelled the last of my enthusiasm for dealing with these engines with their difficult configuration.

The recent few I have worked on required 3 times the labor at least compared to intercooled configuration for even rather simple repairs, replacement of the 3 belts for PS, AC and alt are a simple example.

Owners and others that have worked on these cars before I get them are real nightmares, and barely running, if at all.

A conversion makes more sense in the long run as the gap between the HA and IC will continue to become larger.

If you need or want any help, let me know, and have fun with your conversion! :)

I'm thinking about doing the same with mine the ic set up looks much easier to work on.... Lol for instance try checking the trans fluid on an H/A car when it's warm :rage: good luck with your conversion post pics let us know how it goes

Sorry to hear your throwing in the towel Toby. I can't say I haven't thought about it a time or two myself. Going IC'd doesn't solve all problems. When hanging out at Richard Clark's shop I see a tons of IC'd cars with every type of problem you could think of.
My advice is to think about your goals with your car. If being a dragstrip king is your goal, then IC’d will get you closer. However there’s a lot of heartache going to come with that too.
Although I still have a personal goal to get my car into the 6’s in the eight mile, I’m also living my ultimate goal of having a running car that I can drive around and enjoy.

yes I agree with all the statements. Nick availability of parts and getting the turbos worked on, and holding your head a certain way just to get the car running correct with no KR...its the combination of not being able to enjoy the ride. Hell I had to spend half the day getting my car hauler, loading the car, pushing it into the garage just because the turbo broke the shaft....which for some reason i have no idea happened. I was getting to the point where I could change out a turbo, downpipe on the car in less than an hour. Now this can be looked at two ways, but I am sick of taking parts off that fail because of old technology.

To own a Turbo Regal nowadays, you have to love the car for what it is. That’s a 30 year long car that parts are going to break and replacement prices are just going to keep going up on and becoming more rare. To me the best part of owning my Turbo Regal is the people that surround these cars They are not like any other car group I’ve been in.

amen brother, the A body guys get a little jealous at the crowds my car brings compared to their......"yawn" chevelle...like the other 50 of them.

Is it finacially possible or interested in picking up a whole ICed car? Instead turn the HA to a street cruising car then push the LC2 car for the power, maybe?

Is it finacially possible or interested in picking up a whole ICed car? Instead turn the HA to a street cruising car then push the LC2 car for the power, maybe?

I thought about that. Here is why I want to do what I do. Some may know and some may not. So ill explain. I bought this car for 700$. It should have been pushed from a cliff. I bought it for a couple reasons. One, I wanted a TR to add to my collection. I have a NA Cutlass with a buick 350. I have a 85 Canadian Exported 442 frame off restore 100 point car. So when I found the TR it fit the void with my collection. On top of this I had the largest hand in making all the parts being added to the aftermarket. I used all the test panels on this car, not only did it need them, but it gave me a chance to fix the car for basically free and my company paid me to do so. Whereas this would be thought on another opinion that this was a cakewalk, it was far from that. I have hundreds of hours in testing, modifying, making and customizing parts for the car so we could all benefit. So when I drive the car and people comment on it, it honestly is such a great feeling that I want to drive it to feel the accomplishment that I achieved with it. I have never ever did bodywork before this car, I never painted before I got this car, never did upholstery before I got this car. I did 99% of the work on my own in a 20 ft garage with resources from other people and friends and the internet. This car will go to the grave with me, it means a tremendous amount just to be in it....have it go down the road straight, looks good...and peeps drive by all the time with thumbs up in the air!

So no other car that I would put a fast engine in would mean as much as this car. We shared a lot of sweat blood and tears together :)

^ I expect nothing but low 8s then, haha. Good Luck

I'm still gonna pester you for HA info though.

thanks brother. I have other friends in the area that I help with their HA needs, so I will still remain versed in some of the HA dealings.

Toby. You are one of the GOOD GUYS. I am so sorry you are experiencing them maladies... I am in agreement, sit on the car... You can ask Brad and John and others I am forgetting, HOTAIRs are BITCHES.... Everything can change at moments notice... You OWE yourself the satisfaction of being different. Put the 6262 on the car and drive the SHITZ out of it... You have built a fine car... Enjoy it.. Ijs