Horn Button Question

Woody

Can anyone post a photo of the plastic insert found on a 87 Grand National horn button ? My 87 has the trishield and I was curious to know if that is what a GN came with....Also, do the allen head screws have anything to do with pulling the horn button or does it simply pull out of the steering wheel??

Thanks guys,

Woody

There are 2 real allen head screws, the rest are plastic and will break if you mess with them (guess how I found that out?)

The 2 real ones are the ones at 9 and 3 o'clock, IIRC. Be super gentle and it should be easy to figure out if you have the right one(s).

About the picture insert, I'm not sure at all.

Here is all I could find.

I had a GN until '96 and I swear it had a Turbo6 logo...........

P1030397.jpg

DSC_0449.jpgHere's a picture of the original "Tri-shield" emblem that came with my '87 Grand National....and when tightening down the two allen head screw, very, very careful not to over tighten them or the ring will crack. Tighten down each one as you are looking at the little space on the cap end right at the 9 and 3 o'clock spokes. Try to make the bottom end of the cap (looking at that space) parallel with the top surface of the spoke. Using a little Locktite Blue would help on the two screws to keep them from backing out due to the tremendous abuse we put our Turbo Bucks through..:p

Bruce '87 Grand National

Thanks alot guys!! I am going to replace the steering wheel with a better one tomorrow and don't want to damage the horn ring removing and installing the new wheel. Bruce, thank you for the excellent photo! You can plainly see the "real" screws at the 9:00 and 3:00 position on the ring!!

Again, thanks everyone!!! You are a ton of Help!!!!!!!

me likes the one with the Red/White/Blue shields butt the black ones are the correct ones for a GN

There are 2 real allen head screws, the rest are plastic and will break if you mess with them (guess how I found that out?)

The 2 real ones are the ones at 9 and 3 o'clock, IIRC. Be super gentle and it should be easy to figure out if you have the right one(s).

About the picture insert, I'm not sure at all.
Thanks for posting this. Seems simple, but it had me fooled. I thought they were all fake screws and I couldn't figure out how I was going to get that darn center off!!! Power in numbers!!! Thanks again!!