Hooker mufflers: AeroChamber or Turbo?

BlackMetal

I'm curious why the Hooker exhaust system comes with AeroChamber mufflers when they market their Turbo Muffler line as the best for turbo cars?

I'm now 99% sure that I'm making my own exhaust...so which of their muffler lines should I focus on?

AeroChamber
Competition Turbo
Super Competition Turbo

hum

I have a single shot custom 3" exhaust, no cat. I'm running a hooker muffler. I forgot which one it is, I believe it was a super comp? if you look through it, you can see right through it :eek: that is why I bought it. it is heavy gauge steel, and sounds bad ass. My buddy has a pit bull muffler, I personally think it takes away from the sleeper-ness of these engines. I really believe in hooker exhaust. just my 2 cents. Maybe it was an aerochamber? all I know is that its black, and heavy duty. I got it at PAW for like 69 bucks. It is not the turbo muffler though.

Hm....yeah...I have to admit I'm not looking to spend a ton on mufflers. Only site I've seen stocking those Ultra Flo's, they're over 100. I'd find the money if they really perform that much better though...1100+ CFM?? What are Hooker mufflers rated at?

I have to admit I like the aero chamber mufflers, quieter than most and no annoying drone. JMO

Aero or Dynomax

http://www.dynomax.com/ultrafloweld.stm

WEll for starters the Areo was designed well before Walker make this Dyno-max muffler. The concept is the same. Both are make alike, almost to the point of copyright infringement. The walker set ups tend to fail well before the Hooker, which is a company set up for performance, not the bottom line like walker. How can i make these blanket statments, you may ask? Easy, I've been installing both for years, (on a daily basis.) Stay away from the Dyno-max, it's nothing more than a polished copy, that does not have the history behind it.

my $.o2, you don't have to agree, but you do have to let me say it.

DAve

I vote Dynomax Race Magnums they are nice an straight thru.. Some might think well if one is straight thru an the other is as well but cost more , then what is the advantage.. I think it may be the packing in the muffler that makes the sound difference in one straight thru an another an it may be that one straight thru has more preferated holes for the packing to absorb sound. I know I run 1) -4" Dynomax Race Magnum an it sounds like nothing I have ever heard might be the 218/218 cam thou :D gh!!! I had a hooker exhaust before but with Hooker Max Flow's there highest flow rated muffler. There is a flow sheet somewhere that compares like 15 mufflers an I think they even beat out the top of the line Borla XR1's in flow..

mufflers

until recently, I had two T Types. Onecame with a 3" single shot with Walker Super Comp. This one was louder in the car driving around than outside. Took it off immediately and put Hooker system and Aero mufflers . The other T had an older Hooker dual set up with ( I"m pretty sure ) turbo mufflers. The black aeros, you could throw a tennis ball through had more of a musclecar sound at idle. Both Hookers systems fit nicely and were fine sounding at speed. I painted the systems with ACE HDW. zinc chromate paint topped with Rustoleum stainless steel paint from Lowes. It holds up fine . :biggrin:

go with hookers

most of you seem to like hookers :D stick with them. And mine does sound good

Yeah I'm gunna go with Hookers due to cost. Does anyone have any flow ratings for Hooker mufflers?

I had Ultraflows on my T and I HATED them. The drone was horrible. I have Aerochambers on my GN and I love them...nice and quiet.

WakkoSS said:
I had Ultraflows on my T and I HATED them. The drone was horrible. I have Aerochambers on my GN and I love them...nice and quiet.

Well now I'm back to my original question. Why are AeroChambers so popular for GNs when Hooker has specific mufflers for Turbo applications? :confused:

Because they flow well, I don't remember the flow rate as you asked, and they have a nice sound which is quieter than most, and more importantly at least to me that annoying drone I had with some other mufflers. JMO

Turbo6Chicago said:
Yeah I'm gunna go with Hookers due to cost. Does anyone have any flow ratings for Hooker mufflers?

Why are you worried about flow ratings? What kind of HP does your car make now? :confused:

Here's my two cents:

1. Had the stock exhaust and it rotted.
2. Replaced it with a Borla system and hated it...too loud.
3. Replaced that with an Ultraflow setup and hated it...droned.
4. Replaced that with the Hooker system with Aerochambers...satisfied. The quietest of the bunch other than stock and no real drone. Actually I'd like it even quieter, but it's good enough.

With the Hooker system and the Aerochambers I run my TA49 turbo'd GN to 115mph in the quarter so I'd say it flows pretty good.

I still say get the dynomax, I have them on my car & it's not any louder than the hookers that I took off.

Blaze said:
I still say get the dynomax, I have them on my car & it's not any louder than the hookers that I took off.

Yeah, to tell the truth I still haven't ordered mufflers this whole time because I'm not sure. :eek:

My car is hardly a step above stock, so I'm not worried about having a perfect exhaust system. I just want a little extra performance but the main concern is the "drone" people complain about. 99% of the time I drive my GN, I'm on the highway at a constant 60mph or higher, so I'm really not in the situation where I could say the drone wouldn't bother me.

I'm still looking at Aero Chambers, Ultra Flows, and the Turbo mufflers from both companies that I still don't understand why nobody has mentioned them when they're FOR low backpressure turbo applications.

It's all in the name

The Aerochambers are a straight thru internal design, perfect for our turbocharged equipped cars The turbocharger dampens the exhaust pulsations and kind of quiets down the sound. The "Turbo" mufflers are S shaped internally and are actually more restrictive for our cars. Good for naturally aspirated cars, looking for that "sound". Go with Aerochambers with a "Turbo" car. Go with "Turbo" mufflers on a N/A car. HTH.

hooker

Hi,
I would use the hooker system. The aerochamber mufflers are straight through, and have a very mellow sound.If you can look through them, they flow well.I chose the catback setup,dual exhaust from there. Good luck with your choice!