Hood Shocks

Rauchman

Need advice on New Hood Shocks. I bought a pair online that work Very Hard.
Want normal type pressure.
Thanks

Got a set years ago at Pep Boys and still going. Although when its pushing 10 degrees they're rather weak.

RockAuto - ACDELCO 510309 {#12333251} Professional

I alternately replace only ONE at a time if the opposite side has ANY strength left at all. Easy up, plenty of hold, easy down action.

Works perfect and for $18, it's a pretty cheap fix.

Mine
RockAuto - ACDELCO 510309 {#12333251} Professional

I alternately replace only ONE at a time if the opposite side has ANY strength left at all. Easy up, plenty of hold, easy down action.

Works perfect and for $18, it's a pretty cheap fix.
Unfortunately I threw the old ones out

I prolly have an old one laying about here somewhere that I could send out to you.

Better yet, there are hundreds and hundreds of them on G bodies in the boneyards around your area. I'm certain of it.

I prolly have an old one laying about here somewhere that I could send out to you.

Better yet, there are hundreds and hundreds of them on G bodies in the boneyards around your area. I'm certain of it.
I'll figure it out. Thanks forthe offer

I bought mine at Pep Boys, and love em' Just lift that hood a little, and it goes up the rest of the way...and stays up better that the factory ones

Or you can call kirbans or one of the other venders and get a set from them.

Are you really saying that Kirban's struts somehow have less gas pressure in them than the same struts you can by elsewhere/anywhere? I find that hard to believe and that is exactly the OP's complaint, if I'm reading it right.

The OP says they push up on opening too hard and close too stiffly. I hardly think Dennis, or any other vendor for that matter, has created and manufactured some "different" type of strut that works just for an 86/87 Buick Regal owners touch.......

But I could be wrong. :cool:

Last edited:
Are you really saying that Kirban's struts somehow have less gas pressure in them than the same struts you can by elsewhere/anywhere? I find that hard to believe and that is exactly the OP's complaint, if I'm reading it right.

The OP says they push up on opening too hard and close too stiffly. I hardly think Dennis, or any other vendor for that matter, has created and manufactured some "different" type of strut that works just for an 86/87 Buick Regal owners touch.......

But I could be wrong. :cool:
Yes, I had a set a few years ago that practically bent the hood into a taco. They never loosened up. They weren't specific to the car. I've also seen different supports for fiberglass and steel hoods advertised for our cars.

Yes, I had a set a few years ago that practically bent the hood into a taco. They never loosened up. They weren't specific to the car. I've also seen different supports for fiberglass and steel hoods advertised for our cars.
What hood do you have? Taco..... Really? FWI, Kirban sells hood shocks for glass and steel hoods. Can't/shouldn't use the steel set on a glass hood. Just sayin......

Steel hood. No, never bent the hood but it felt like it could when closing it. The supports had too much pressure. Closing took too much force. Right length but like I said, designed for another application. I ditched them and bought a set from Rock Auto.