Hood Emblems? WTH?

As far as I know ....

...magnets do NOT stick to plastic. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing anyones reproductions, but the GM emblem actually feels heavier and sturdier than the repro. (At least this one, circa 1989 does) I don't have a digital scale to weigh it, though.

Original GM emblem has an orange colored "peel off" with a tab. Repro has a blue "peel off" with no tab.

Attachments

• IMG_0857.jpg
    IMG_0857.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 191
  • IMG_0858.jpg
    IMG_0858.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_0859.jpg
    IMG_0859.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 182
Oh brother ... why waste my time with this. I'll bring it to the Turbo Buick nationals and bet all takers 100$. Put your money where your mouth is, Pal.

Oh brother ... why waste my time with this. I'll bring it to the Turbo Buick nationals and bet all takers 100$. Put your money where your mouth is, Pal.

Damn it Rich we know your using a plastic magnet. :biggrin:
I'll be back I know it's plastic just trying to figure out what is under the chrome. :wink:

Yeah I have an 89 mitchell crash book with gm prices listed. It is downright amazing how cheap those parts are!

These are list prices:
Front fillers $21.65 each
Headlight bezels $30 each
Marker lamps 18.95 each
Backup lenses 11.90 each
Some were still pricey
Rear fillers 166 each
t top glass 610 each
intercooler 434

it gets even more crazy...brake switches used to sell them all day long for $18 and make money on them....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Whether you go with the GM in the GM box and pay $30 each or $50 for the pair or buy ours for less money...it gives owners an option as to which weighs more or less seems
not a major concern....

whether you buy the GM or ours....when the 3 breaks ours breaks like GM does unless you are carefull...difference is ours is cheaper....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

the neat emblem is the one that appeared years ago on the chevy citation the X-11 model said high output v6 or something like that we used to sell them....more impressive than the 3.8 ones...

the important thing is owners have a choice......GM or repro.....

talking about metal our horn collars are metal gm is plastic which cracks and warps....ours won't....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Go down to your local vinyl decal shop and have them cut out of argent silver or chrome vinyl and stick em on, nice and low profile and easy to maintain. Most vinyl decal shops can put them on a magnetic backing for those of you wanting to have the best of both worlds. This is how most of the local guys replace almost all of their emblems these days. Unless you are going for a showroom stock restoration, why the heck would you even bother with plastic emblems that will break anyways, no matter who they come from.
Not trying to knock our vendors, just mentioning another option.:cool:

Actually, better yet...............why doesn't one of our vendors do this for us and then we all can get the same ones and still support TR vendors at the same time......... :)

No offense to Bweavy as I've purchased great stuff from him and he has great service. But I used Kirban's hood emblems when I repainted and they were fine. I super-glued the originals to the garage fridge...now I got myself a 3.8SFITURBO Amana that holds beer!!

Now that is the sign of an exact reproduction.:biggrin: Sorry, couldn't resist.:smile:

In other words our repro copies the poor GM design exact....years ago first GTO part we made was fo rthe 1964-65 GTO tailpipe splitters...originals were crude tack welded stainless to stamped metal pieces....looked cheap....

we made the first repros in regular steel exhaust tubing and chrome plated them....100% better....hardly sold them.

then we spent the big money back in 1981 made them correctly and they sell...matching the GM crude ones...been selling them to every GTO company for over 25 years...they retail for over $250 a pair....cost over 10 grand in 1981-82 to make the dies correctly.

true story...

With reproductions we have a lot of experience.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I super-glued the originals to the garage fridge...now I got myself a 3.8SFITURBO Amana that holds beer!!

Cool! Does it leak oil , too? :biggrin:

Never had any issue with anything I've ever bought from Brian, Dennis OR Mark. Thanks for the support guys.

In other words our repro copies the poor GM design exact....years ago first GTO part we made was fo rthe 1964-65 GTO tailpipe splitters...originals were crude tack welded stainless to stamped metal pieces....looked cheap....

we made the first repros in regular steel exhaust tubing and chrome plated them....100% better....hardly sold them.

then we spent the big money back in 1981 made them correctly and they sell...matching the GM crude ones...been selling them to every GTO company for over 25 years...they retail for over $250 a pair....cost over 10 grand in 1981-82 to make the dies correctly.

true story...

With reproductions we have a lot of experience.....

denniskirban@yahoo.com

Nobody ever went broke by underestimating the intelligence or taste of the American public. - HL Mencken (some quote PT Barnum)

...magnets do NOT stick to plastic. :rolleyes:

I'm not bashing anyones reproductions, but the GM emblem actually feels heavier and sturdier than the repro. (At least this one, circa 1989 does) I don't have a digital scale to weigh it, though.

Original GM emblem has an orange colored "peel off" with a tab. Repro has a blue "peel off" with no tab.

Dude-
Put those suckers on Ebay and advertise that they were only on the Gov't-spec-twin turbo GNX's:eek: That will make you a fortune.

PS. I believe you:cool: I'm sure some of them are made out of many different things. GM quality control:rolleyes:

Dude-
Put those suckers on Ebay and advertise that they were only on the Gov't-spec-twin turbo GNX's:eek: That will make you a fortune.

PS. I believe you:cool: I'm sure some of them are made out of many different things. GM quality control:rolleyes:

:biggrin: Great idea! The FBI GNX, I forgot about that! I may retire early....

No offense to Bweavy as I've purchased great stuff from him and he has great service. But I used Kirban's hood emblems when I repainted and they were fine. I super-glued the originals to the garage fridge...now I got myself a 3.8SFITURBO Amana that holds beer!!

Chuck I'm not offended at all. Like I said we ordered some 3.8 hood emblems from Dennis today. I have ordered some in the past & offer them to people who don't require them to be 100% GM.
We will be adding them on our site. You have to give people options.

BTW My fridge doesn't hold beer very long ;) :biggrin:

Go down to your local vinyl decal shop and have them cut out of argent silver or chrome vinyl and stick em on, nice and low profile and easy to maintain. Most vinyl decal shops can put them on a magnetic backing for those of you wanting to have the best of both worlds. This is how most of the local guys replace almost all of their emblems these days. Unless you are going for a showroom stock restoration, why the heck would you even bother with plastic emblems that will break anyways, no matter who they come from.
Not trying to knock our vendors, just mentioning another option.:cool:

Actually, better yet...............why doesn't one of our vendors do this for us and then we all can get the same ones and still support TR vendors at the same time......... :)

I make these from chrome vinyl (just stick-on, no magnetic), but I'm not a vendor. Maybe I could wholesale them to a vendor to list?

Chuck I'm not offended at all. Like I said we ordered some 3.8 hood emblems from Dennis today. I have ordered some in the past & offer them to people who don't require them to be 100% GM.
We will be adding them on our site. You have to give people options.

BTW My fridge doesn't hold beer very long ;) :biggrin:

I am sure its only a matter of time before the GM ones go bye bye as they can't be selling many of them when the repros are 1/2 the price and we even spell all the words the same way!

denniskirban@yahoo.com