Honda Civic (lengthy)

turbojimmy

Supporting Member
So, it's a lame kill but educating the youth of today is a responsibility we must all take seriously. After all, many of the punks modifying their imports were toddlers in the TR heyday. Plus, the GN has been laid up since November with trans trouble - I've been having serious TR withdrawal. It's not fixed yet, but at least it's drive-able. Just fixed the A/C, and squeaked through NJ inspection. Life is good.

I have to set the stage. The wife had a hankerin' for some ice cream, I had a hankerin' for some boost. I could kill two birds with one stone, so I volunteered to fetch some 'scream. There are a few stoplights in our town with "temporary" lanes on the right side that begin and end shortly before and after the light. This is to cram more cars in at the light during rush hour. Most people, however, avoid these lanes because of the heavy merge that typically results in a test of who wants to swap paint the most. Our mayor calls them "aggressive driver lanes". My brother and I call them "f-you lanes". If you have a fast car, they're your own personal traffic bypass lanes.

So, I'm approaching the light. There's the usual cluster-f of cars approaching the light in the travel lanes, and the f-you lane is wide open. I see a base model Grand Prix and a 4-door Civic with a fart muffler and a car load of teens weaving in and out of traffic. When they get to the red light, the GP is behind the Civic in the right lane - the Civic having pinned the GP in. The Civic puts on his flashers….I guess he "won". I pull into the f-you lane next to the Civic. I stopped a car length back so as not to get their attention - I really wasn't looking for trouble - just to get ahead of traffic. Didn't work - the driver tipped off the occupants of the Civic. All necks are craned (except the driver) as the teens in the Civic wait to see what I was going to do. The Civic is revving up his fart muffler. I haven't tried to build any boost with the new torque converter yet, so I was happy for the opportunity. I guess it works because I was hitting the stutter on the Thrasher chip long before the car even tried to push through the brakes (not the case with the stock converter). When the other side turns yellow, the guy in the Civic starts rolling into the intersection. I was about 3 cars behind him - with him already rolling - when the light turned green. I let off the brake and floored it. I knew I'd go up in smoke, but I figured any forward movement at all would waste this Civic. I was right - once it started moving I blew by the Civic in short order - both wheels spinning with smoke billowing out from under it. By the time it hooked, I was well ahead of all of the traffic - including the poor Civic. The sweet smell of toasted Radial TA wafting into the interior. Then I checked for cops (I have to remember to do that FIRST). There were none, though I did pick one up about 5 minutes later - not sure if someone ratted me out or not. He was more interested in my tinted windows, though.

At the next light, I got into a left-turn lane and the Civic flew by. Got a thumbs up from all 3 passengers. Driver didn't even look over. As an aside, while waiting for the left-turn green arrow, I check my rear view and there's one of my neighbors - he must've been at that light, too. There goes the sensible-driver-of-a-babied-GN image I was shootin' for.

Jim