Home security cameras

longbedGTs

high on gas fumes
I'm looking for a home security camera system that can be accessed through my phone. There are so many choices that I'm not sure which to get. Also, wireless cameras vs hardwired cameras. Which is better? Never had a security system on this level. Do most require some sort of subscription or are they a one time thing? Alot of the youtube world was touting simplisafe for a while. Any suggestions?

'87 Turbo "T"

What a complete shitshow!!
We use the Arlo Pro3 2K 3 camera system. Got a pretty good deal at COSTCO.

Wireless, easy to mount. Depending on settings, charge seems to last 2+weeks between charging. Can choose different alert options, notifies your phone, can select alert area, etc.

Overall so far so good. We have one in the backyard, driveway, & the front/porch of the house.

salvageV6

Daily Driver
I've been looking at the Reolink systems, haven't bought one yet but have seen a WIFI version with HD cameras and they have a good picture.

I like wired but it's a lot of work for outdoor and say a home with plaster walls etc.

If you go battery amd/or storage SD card, make sure they are easily accessible especially if you are on a ladder changing them out.

longbedGTs

high on gas fumes
Just watched a review of the arlo and see that it comes with a base station that needs an ethernet cable. I don't have ethernet or wifi at home. Are there any that are capable of their own internet connection? Guessing that'd be more expensive but is my only option.

87GN Turbo6

Just watched a review of the arlo and see that it comes with a base station that needs an ethernet cable. I don't have ethernet or wifi at home. Are there any that are capable of their own internet connection? Guessing that'd be more expensive but is my only option.
So you do NOT have internet at home?

longbedGTs

high on gas fumes
Then you going to be limited to something with cellular capabilities. Maybe a game camera?

Not sure honestly...I'm pretty far out of the loop when it comes to this stuff. Hell, I was still using a flip phone up until October of last year. Got this smart phone and figure it's a good idea to make use of its capabilities. Maybe I can call the local isp and ask about wiring the house for ethernet.

'87 Turbo "T"

Not sure honestly...I'm pretty far out of the loop when it comes to this stuff. Hell, I was still using a flip phone up until October of last year. Got this smart phone and figure it's a good idea to make use of its capabilities. Maybe I can call the local isp and ask about wiring the house for ethernet.
Wow! Do you still have to wait for the tubes to warm up before you can wartch T.V.?!;) :ROFLMAO: :p

Just kidding. Just a bit odd to hear of someone who has no home internet service. Sure you're better off for it though. Damn interwebs rot your brain!! Sure has mine!! LOL

deezdad

Don't laugh, this is how I roll lol

Screenshot_20210419-195628.png

deezdad

I'm not into cameras but it is becoming a reality almost a necessity.. just had my attic air sealed and insulated.. couple days before I removed all the old fiberglass batt insulation so figured whit the attic was wide open run 4 cat 5e cables to each corner and left bunched up in the soffits accessible by popping a soffit vent.. run back to a convenient spot in my house for future equipment, I'm no pro but do believe I'll be installing power over ethernet cameras.

'87 Turbo "T"

Cameras are getting to be like T.V's.

Getting pretty cheap to get a decent set-up. So much scum out in the world these days!!!

NOW GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

longbedGTs

high on gas fumes
Wow! Do you still have to wait for the tubes to warm up before you can wartch T.V.?!;) :ROFLMAO:

Well, I did up until 2009 when I was forced to get a flat screen. Went to best buy and asked where the TVs were. The guy pointed to the flat screens, and I said no... I'm looking for the regular style tv with the glass screen. He looked at me for a solid 5 seconds to see if i was joking, then told me that they didn't make them anymore. Technology is something else.

87GN Turbo6

Well, I did up until 2009 when I was forced to get a flat screen. Went to best buy and asked where the TVs were. The guy pointed to the flat screens, and I said no... I'm looking for the regular style tv with the glass screen. He looked at me for a solid 5 seconds to see if i was joking, then told me that they didn't make them anymore. Technology is something else.
LMOA

Maybe look into satellite internet if you live in the boonies

SS/GN

What good are cameras ?,We have them at work ,every intruder is wearing a hoody and now a mask is mandatory so the criminals will be using them well after the scamdemic is over.

longbedGTs

high on gas fumes
What good are cameras ?,We have them at work ,every intruder is wearing a hoody and now a mask is mandatory so the criminals will be using them well after the scamdemic is over.

I don't care about the house...just want to be able to watch the garage cam like a hawk. :D

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
I don't care about the house...just want to be able to watch the garage cam like a hawk. :D
The same flawed logic, as believing you can call the cops, and they'll magically appear, and snatch the perp.
Once the cops are there, if they ever show up, the deed is done and over with. Same with you being away, and you see some asshole breaking into your garage.
Remember, when seconds count, the cops are minutes away. If there any left, once they are defunded.

regan j

Well said Chuck, it is done and they are gone. Maybe you get good pics of them and maybe they get caught and maybe you get your stuff back

SS/GN

I have a Rotti,she protects everything just fine. Just a tip but if the garage is attached to the house leave the door open to the house. Your Camera will pick up a funny youtube sensation when the guy opens the big door to find your car and wakes her up from a nap! Bahahahah