Home Energy usage reduction

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Anyone have any feedback on the Nest thermostat for home?
Thinking about installing one.

Great thermostat, just make sure it is compatible with your A/C unit. Motion controlled to tell when someone is near. App controlled. I install them all of the time. It does have some optimum (ECO) settings and they make a lower cost E version now. You may need the little piece of plastic (surround) when you retro it in place of older rectangle thermostats. They integrate well into all of my SMART home packages. Remember that it is more than just a thermostat.I usually sell electric blinds and lighting controls to go along with it. Many of the homes that I do have 2 story family rooms and I can put those blinds up to kill that midday sunlight that heats up the house and drive up the A/C bill, especially if the customer don't want to use window tint. I cut a guys energy bill by $84 a month minimum for 4 months straight so far. Look into lighting control as well, you dont have to do a whole house, but mainly look at the rooms that you use the most. Most people eyes can't distinguish light differences of 100% full on and 90%. An automatic 10% cost reduction in that room.

I can tell you from first hand knowledge change every light bulb in your house to LEDs I did and the saving was $35.00
This also help the cooling as they do not put out 1/10th of the heat. I bought most of mine from fleabay in bulk saved a lot of money.

the best investment I made for energy conservation...…. was new efficient windows,!
dropped my elect/ ac bill in half, plus house is 100% quieter,
did the light bulbs, sealed the doors, all helped.
but without a doubt, GOOD windows makes a big difference!
feel your windows on a warm day, if they are warm, to the touch, the argon has leaked out,
and are no longer effective.

I would recommend it. Also com ed our electric company Gabe’s is a rebate of 100 bucks. So I paid 100 total. Yes make sure your furnace is compatible and you wire it correctly. Also another thing to consider is that you have a good WiFi signal where installing it. Because no WiFi no smart thermostat. Thermostat learns your movements and adjustments when people are around the house.
Best part you can control it with your phone in the middle of the night without getting out of bed.
My wife insist on having it set at 68 at night I have a hot wife. ( not really;) lol ) So I set it at 68 once she starts snoring I raise it to 73. She never knows the difference. Saves me money instantly. In the winter months don’t have to get out of a warm bed to adjust it. Just my two cents Check with your electric company to see if they offer rebates.

I had a quote to replace windows and it was $18K. Amortizing potential energy savings is not a good investment, when you aren't sure of you are moving.

The remote temperature control is nice but ot is more of a convenience than energy savings?

I have a programmable unit, but it isn't smart. Hahaha. Just wondering right now . . . .

If you want to be a cheap bastard like me, go to Wal Mart or any store and buy a window insulation kit= basicaly saran wrap with double stick tape to insulate your windows. I very seldom open my windows and it is clear. No one will notice unless you tell them. If you dont like it, minimal investment and easily reversible. Read instructions and use the hair dryer to get wrinkles out. Now you have an insulation space of whatever your window case is.

I second the window plastic. :cool:

Saves me $300 a winter, about 100 gallons, in oil costs for a $10 kit from Amazon.

If you have nicely finished olde tyme wood windows with the pockets and weights, the plastic tape can affect the trim finish if old paint or varnish/urethane, if you don't remove the plastic and sticky tape in the spring. I leave some on permanently and take some off that I open for fresh air in the spring/summer/fall.

When it's windy you can see the positive results, and we have storm windows as well, the old style windows with pockets and weights leak around the sides/edges, the plastic keeps all that cold from entering the house.