Holy Grail ? Grand National

That's the way GM designed earlier fwd cars ie; Eldorado and Toranado.

People find it difficult to understand how something can be "rare but not desirable." But with cars in particular you see it all the time. The only reason such cars are rare is because nobody wanted to buy them to begin with. If nothing else makes them notable, most people will find more reasons to put their money into something else.

'82 GN was very desirable in 1982. They were intended for 100, made 215 due to demand. The sticker price was nearly double a base regal. They were just trumped is desirability by the intercooled cars, which pretty much trumps anything built in the '80's. :)

I know you value yours Rich, but was 215 the total demand? Could they have made more? I mean, that's hardly breaking down the doors. :D

Seriously though, there are cars that just about anyone would want if one fell in their lap. Like a lot of others out there, I don't think either of these cars has ever achieved that status, and that's what depresses the dollar value, despite the rarity.

Take my '83 Malibu ... please. It was in a small local gov'ment fleet in San Francisco that made the Channel 2 10 O'clock News shortly after the fleet was acquired. I remember watching the show on cable out here a couple hundred miles away. A reporter posed in front of one just like mine with the hood up, explained the Buick V6 with the "feedback" carburetor and pointed out that '84 fwd models were due to have fuel injection, which made the whole acquisition controversial. This is a very interesting story, but I've never had any illusions that my car has any dollar value whatsoever.

You're right, they were mostly promotional - so it was dealer demand, not consumer demand. I doubt the general consumer knew anything about them.

I think they fall in line with Monte SSs, Hurst/Olds & 442s and even IROCs of the time. Flashly, but not fast. Nice cruisers, especially with T Tops. The intercooled GNs are on a whole other level. Unfortunately for the '82 GN, it will always be compared to the '86/87 GN. Same applies to the 84/85 GN's. Great cars, but not quite the same as the '86/87.