Hofer transmission durability

johnplogii

Senior citizen
Finally pulled out my tranny and sent it to be checked out. This transmission was built by Brian Hofer in 2008. I've had no issues for 7 seasons of racing. The car ran 10.20's the first year, then 9's for the next 6 years including 3 years in the 9.0 range. I couldn't be any more impressed with how long it lasted, and it wasn't even done yet. I'll try to attach some pics of the clutches.

Attachments

• PART_1410739588026_20140913_151054.jpg
    PART_1410739588026_20140913_151054.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 406
  • 20140913_151240.jpg
    20140913_151240.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 410
  • PART_1410739938873_20140913_151231.jpg
    PART_1410739938873_20140913_151231.jpg
    394.1 KB · Views: 388
Any secrets you are willing to reveal? Are you using a billet shaft forward drum? I'm assuming those are the six red clutches out of the direct in the first pic. How does the band look? Are you using a "case stretcher" servo or other?

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I Broke it the following may in Bowling Green, Broke the ring and pinion which damaged the trans. Brian fixed it and its been in the car up until two weeks ago.

I wish I knew all of the details and could build these things. It has some billet parts (input shaft, forward drum) not sure if there's more. I do believe Brian said they were paper clutches?

John: I knew that you and Jim were really high on Brian and I was disappointed this summer when I tried to find him and found out he was no longer in the business. Big loss to the Buick community. I had Vince Janis work mine over and I have been very pleased with it.

Sure hope you can come to Noble next fall. Race has been re-scheduled to September 19th for 2015.

Send my best to you and your family.

Phil Engle

I had a hofer trans too and loved it!!! Why isn't he around anymore?
Well that depends on what story you want to hear.
O and I have a good Hoffer tranny also. Or at least a good one from someone who worked for him.

That's around the time I got my trans from Brian that was built to handle 9's. Car has never made enough power to test that, but hope to see how it'll hold up with the stroker motor! Good to know you got 7 hard years out of it

John: I knew that you and Jim were really high on Brian and I was disappointed this summer when I tried to find him and found out he was no longer in the business. Big loss to the Buick community. I had Vince Janis work mine over and I have been very pleased with it.

Sure hope you can come to Noble next fall. Race has been re-scheduled to September 19th for 2015.

Send my best to you and your family.

Phil Engle
Hey Phil! Sorry I couldn't help out when you needed a tranny over the summer. Certain circumstances arose and I was fortunate enough to get Brian and Rich to freshen up my trans. They also fixed Jim's when he blew the case apart on his, and are putting a couple more together with the parts they have in stock. You should pick up one of these for a backup tranny! Hope to make noble next year it just didn't work out for me in 2014, I almost missed BG.

John

Granted my car is a 15 sec slug, the Hofer trans has no billet anything, and has been working flawlessly for about 10 years.
Its the only drivetrain part that lasted this long. LOL

They have a STELLAR reputation. They quit so I had to learn to assemble my own. Sad they stopped.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app