Hobbs Switch

Vertigo107

Guys,

Does anyone know the part number for the Hobbs switch that is used on Reds Double Pumper? Thanks!

+1 I have the 15lb Hobbs , I hope to get rid of the Hobbs and control the 2nd pump with my MafT Pro soon.

I believe they are located in the Balkamp book if the counter guy gives you a blank stare and says they don't have them. :p

It's in one of the "specialty books" in the rack they have at the counter.

Expensive around $35 at NAPA.

A search here might find the actual NAPA number which might locate the part for you easier at NAPA.

If you cant find one from the forementioned sources, industrial supply places like Macmaster-Carr and Grainger have them. Adjustable ones are available.

dont mean to sound lost........... but do we have a hobbs switch from the factory and what do we use it for??:confused:

I did find them at NAPA, I just have to go to the main warehouse, where they have 2 in stock. Thanks again Guys!

It is the switch that "tells" the 2nd pump to turn on when you are using twin pumps.

ok, i was thinkin that a hobbs switch could be useful but i didnt know anyone used them on TB's. lol do you use one in tank and one in line (PUMP THAT IS)??????

I've use one on my GN to turn on a second nozzle via a solenoid for alky. set at 19psi. boost.

Rock steady control, minor 1-2 psi. hysteresis which doesn't matter for alky. and is a good thing for other applications, and it's simple and has worked great for years.

Lots of cool uses for those things. :)

You could set one as a failsafe at say 27psi. over boost condition and have it open the power to the boost solenoid(s) as a fail safe via a simple relay.

Lower the boost to spring pressure when activated.

I've use one on my GN to turn on a second nozzle via a solenoid for alky. set at 19psi. boost.

Rock steady control, minor 1-2 psi. hysteresis which doesn't matter for alky. and is a good thing for other applications, and it's simple and has worked great for years.

Lots of cool uses for those things. :)

You could set one as a failsafe at say 27psi. over boost condition and have it open the power to the boost solenoid(s) as a fail safe via a simple relay.

Lower the boost to spring pressure when activated.

thats a pretty slick idea. i really dig the info you type. you know these cars really well. i'm an electronics guy by trade and really know hydraulics well, but i'm still learnin how these things really "work" so i can apply that knowledge to these cars. your info is a great help to everyone on here (as if you've never been told that before :cool:)

dont mean to sound lost........... but do we have a hobbs switch from the factory and what do we use it for??:confused:
Oil pressure switches are examples of hobbs switches. It's a switch that closes or opens a circuit in relation to pressure. The oil pressure switch for the 86-87 turbo Buicks (if used to turn on an auxiliary fuel pump) will turn the second pump on at 11 lbs. of boost.

Any one have pics of how they hooked up there Hobbs switch? The wires attached to mine seem to short to connect right.