HMMM....what tires would you buy with this setup??

PhilthMonger

the tirerack website is giving me a serious headache....I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on what tires I should buy. I have some bilstein shocks w/ Eibach springs, 1.8" drop in the front and .8" drop in the back, with 16X8 TTA wheels. now, these tires will be strictly "street", but not necessarily all season....wont see much action in the winter. Do want to improve the everyday handling of this car, what tires would be a cross between "road race" and "daily driver" :D I'm also thinking 225/55-16, should I go a little bigger out back, or maybe smaller out front? any opinions would be appreciated.

Michelin Pilots handle very well. I used to have Radial T/As, I will never go back.

Size wise, I have used 245/45 's all the way around on 16x8's with good handling charcteristics. They might be a little bit harsher over bumps than taller profiles, but the handling is more responsive (less sidewall flex). I say the same size on all, so that you can rotate when needed....FWIW

For economy look at both Sumitomo and Kumho. Pricey would be a Toyo S-1. The Sumo's are a good tire for the price as well as the Kumho's. The Tire Rack has comparisons for these with other tires. The Kumho compares very favorably performance wise with tires costing much more.

Tire size 245/50/16 gives you a plus1 sizing and would be a minimum.

thanks for the recommendations.....I like the low profile idea but I might sacrifice that for a little less harsh ride. how about 245/50-16 out front and just a little fatter out back...rotation isn't an issue I go thru tires way too quick to worry about that.