High mounted brake light

nwarky

I wish to share a puzzler with everyone. These 30 year old cars find new ways to challenge me every month. The high mounted brake light on my '87 Turbo Regal has just started to remain on when the brakes are not engaged. The other brake lights continue to function normally. Can anyone explain this for me before I just start replacing parts for no apparent reason. Thanks!

Replace the brake light switch that contacts the brake pedal. I believe there are two circuits, one for regular brake lights that go through the blinker switch and one for high mounted stop light that goes straight back to the stop light.

I had to replace the brake switch on an olds 20 years ago for similar problem.

I hope this helps.

That's why I started this thread figuring there was an electrical circuit issue that I didn't even know existed. Makes sense if there are two circuits in those brake switches. I will start there. When I get a chance to buy a replacement switch I will post again to confirm that indeed was the fix. Thanks!!!

Just wish to complete this thread. As suggested by 1986 Buick GX1 the problem was indeed the brake switch at the base of the steering column. Borg Warner P/N S936 corrected the problem. Thanks for the help!

I'm glad you got your ride back on the road, safely.
Thank you for you the follow-up on the solution, adding the part number will definitely be a bonus.