$High Dollar Injectors---Worth It?

GNDriven

Doing some research on the latest 160lb/min - 1650cc/min injectors available, and came across the latest rave Injector Dynamic PN1700.60.14.14.6 and FIC 1650cc/min injectors. Both cost about $1400 for a set of 6.
I do think these are both high impedance, which is not a requirement for the FAST system, but was wondering in general what is the driving technology in these injectors that make them have such a high value.

I do street drive my car, and so would like to have a good idle and reduce the drive-ability issues familiar with the older 160lb/min injectors.

I wonder if these injector or just targeting the import guys, that obviously have no budget lol.

Appears the trend is high impedance injectors. Probably this market direction is driven by the import market that has production style injector drivers (high impedance). So I am wondering with the import demand being high horsepower with low displacement engines, are these latest high impedance injectors offering superb response times and dynamics along with high flow rates?

I would get more information on the injectors. A lot of larger high impedance have noticeable variation with wide temp ranges because the coil resistance changes with the temp. Peak and hold seem to do this less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering about the billet automizers or moran billets myself.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

image.jpg

I'm running F.I.C. 1650's. The drivability really is excellent. The injector offset is quite large, which makes for a large pulsewidth at idle. I'm able to idle much leaner and tip in is flawless and consistent. I'm using SD2 with a custom AE fuel trim to increase the pw. Bone stock ECM. No temperature related issues with these. $1050 for the set.

I am really amazed at how well my trick flow from summit injectors drive and work
They are 120# but they drive much nicer than the 96# injectors I had in before.
And on my small engine I set them up with 30 pounds base fuel pressure.

I am finding it pretty difficult deciding what is a quality injector with outstanding performance. I mean price is one variable, but may not be the most telling. I suppose you have to understand the capabilities of the injector based on the style and what technology it employs, but I do not find this information forthcoming on most injector webpages.

I was wondering about the billet automizers or moran billets myself.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
View attachment 280426

I'm running F.I.C. 1650's. The drivability really is excellent. The injector offset is quite large, which makes for a large pulsewidth at idle. I'm able to idle much leaner and tip in is flawless and consistent. I'm using SD2 with a custom AE fuel trim to increase the pw. Bone stock ECM. No temperature related issues with these. $1050 for the set.

Which part number did you use? FIC website does not support Buick (boo), so which make and model did you cross-reference?
Thanks

The fuel rail had to be counter bored a little bit to permit a tidy install

I am finding it pretty difficult deciding what is a quality injector with outstanding performance. I mean price is one variable, but may not be the most telling. I suppose you have to understand the capabilities of the injector based on the style and what technology it employs, but I do not find this information forthcoming on most injector webpages.

I believe these injectors start out as Bosch natural gas injectors (not sure....). They're modified / adapted to fit various cars. My personal take is that the large injector offset is where the drivability niceness comes from. The injectors are slow to open at idle, which drives large pulsewidths and better controll. These 1650's idle with a 2.3-2.6ms saturated pulsewidth similar to what an 80lb injector would do. An SMP 160 would idle with a short ~1.3ms peak and hold pulse.

Last edited:
Thanks,

I was reading all available literature on FIC's website, and they do state the vast recent (last couple years) improvements to high impedance injectors. They do not go so far to say that the high Z injectors are outperforming their Low Z counterparts. So my conclusion is they are prob just trying to fill the demand of the imports that have high Z stock computer drivers.
FIC states the high Z do run at a premium $$ hence the high dollar shock.
So all you guys out there running stock computers, you have nothing to worry about from a fuel supply standpoint. You have Ractronix's nice 60lb high Z injectors all the way up to FIC's 2150CC.
FIC has a blue max series that are nice and low Z. I think I am going to get the 1800CC ones, if they will fit (100/each).

The FIC 1650's have been exhibiting a cold temperature sensitivity recently. Good idle, and good at WOT. But there is a part throttle sputter / misfire that worsens with cooler temperatures. Right at 2100-2400RPM, 60-90Kpa, ~4msec pulsewidth. Will continue to investigate this by installing this same FIC injector set into a Supra with ProEFI to see if it follows the injectors. So far switching the Buick back to SMP low impedance injectors has cured the Buick of the cold misfire concern.

On the Buick, I swept the following parameters looking for an effect on this part load misfire:
Fuel pressure 43psi to 49psi
AFR 14.0 to 12.5
Spark advance 33 to 41 degrees
Injector driver: saturated vs. peak and hold

Heavy spark advance covered up the sputtering somewhat but definitely did not fix it. None of the other parameters had any effect.

A separate 2nd set of FIC 1650's in a 2nd Buick exhibited the exact same sputtering / misfire concern at the same speeds and loads.

The FIC 1650's have been exhibiting a cold temperature sensitivity recently. Good idle, and good at WOT. But there is a part throttle sputter / misfire that worsens with cooler temperatures. Right at 2100-2400RPM, 60-90Kpa, ~4msec pulsewidth. Will continue to investigate this by installing this same FIC injector set into a Supra with ProEFI to see if it follows the injectors. So far switching the Buick back to SMP low impedance injectors has cured the Buick of the cold misfire concern.

On the Buick, I swept the following parameters looking for an effect on this part load misfire:
Fuel pressure 43psi to 49psi
AFR 14.0 to 12.5
Spark advance 33 to 41 degrees
Injector driver: saturated vs. peak and hold

Heavy spark advance covered up the sputtering somewhat but definitely did not fix it. None of the other parameters had any effect.

A separate 2nd set of FIC 1650's in a 2nd Buick exhibited the exact same sputtering / misfire concern at the same speeds and loads.

Try the ID's .. they wont do this .. drivability is stock like .

Noticed this with the FICS on another platform .. owner went to ID17's .. nothing but smiles since

Try the ID's .. they wont do this .. drivability is stock like .

Noticed this with the FICS on another platform .. owner went to ID17's .. nothing but smiles since

Definitely considering the ID's. thanks for the info on them