High BLMs-Prepping for CA SMOG

V6Turbo

Hi Folks,

Swapped to Emissions Chip. Disabled the Alky Injector.

BLM: 160
INT: 128
AF: 05
IAC: 29
TPS: .44
RPM: 875

Checked replaced PCV and Hose,
Checked EGR-Holds vacuum. (I held vacuum and or pressed underneath...did not stumble but I think the RPM lowered. Very difficult to tell.
Swapped chip with Emissions

MAF replaced with LT1/MAF translator awhile back. Works fine. Not sure if this is the culprit or is dependent on the chip.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thx, Gil

High Blms are good . That means your car is running lean . The emissions chip is just for emissions and shouldn’t be used to be driving around is what I’ve been told . You swap it in Pitt it to the smog station hopefully pass then swap chips back in

Thanks dank GN,

I was under the impression that high BLMs will cause the smog test to fail.

I swapped out the emissions chip with the chip provided with my alky kit (this is what i use daily). They are both labeled TT (which I presume is a Turbo Tweak chip)

The BLMs came down

BLM 133
INT 128
TPS .46
IAC 34
AF 05
RPM 850

Is this normal? can other board members confirm high BLMs is of no worries with CA SMOG test given all other scan numbers are within range?

Thx,

you can also turn your fuel pressure down to just get passed the smog , some places look for the translator and will fail you just because of it some guys hide it , depends where your at though, which state

That's what an emission chip is for to lean it out. Drop your fuel pressure a couple of pounds. Get your tank down to about I/4 pour in two of those little bottles of heet. Get the car really warm & it will pass. Remove that chip as soon as you can.

Doesnt 160 BLM really mean that engine is running leaner than expected in chip settings and chip is trying to add fuel (from BLM128) to achieve desired af ratio?
If FP is lowered it would try to increase BLM's even more (if BLM range allows). If engine is running too lean it would cause too high HC emissions.

I don't think you should be seeing those BLMs even with a smog chip. If you see normal BLMs with a non-smog chip, that might tell me your smog chip and normal chip are configured for different size injectors. Is this your first time smogging a car in California? How is your catalytic converter? That's 90% of passing smog.

Hi Folks,

Was able to contact Eric of Turbo Tweak,

"That’s not uncommon to have high BLM’s with the emissions chip. "I would try it out and see how it goes."

Ravage,

This is not the first time snogging. Been using this same chip for over 12 years...seems I get flagged for a Test Only SMOG every 2 years. I usually just slap on the chip and remove all the visuals and no major problems with passing. I guess this time, I wanted to tune as much as I can before going in and paid too much attention to the BLMs.

I will take it to smog AS IS and see how it goes.

Keep the board posted.

Thanks,

Hi Folks,

Was able to contact Eric of Turbo Tweak,

"That’s not uncommon to have high BLM’s with the emissions chip. "I would try it out and see how it goes."

I will take it to smog AS IS and see how it goes.

Keep the board posted.

Thanks,

PASSED SMOG!!!

The Emissions chip is programmed to have high BLMs to run lean.

Thx,