Hi and low rad fan relay replacement

garnetkid

It looks like my relays need to be replaced. They have been acting up lately so I found they have been leaking the tar like sealant through the plugs into the wire harness plug. I see the relays are available through Hwystars website but is there a safe way to clean out the plugs on the end of the wire harness so a good contact can be made. thanks Leon

Likely no "tar" inside the relays. The tar was added into the plugs when the car was built.
Goof Off, 3M adhesive remover, etc, will clean the plugs up.
@ 30 yrs old, may be a good time to do both..Clean up, and replace.

Thanks Chuck for the reply, I will clean them up and put them back together with dilectric grease to see if that improves things before I order new ones. Hard to see how that tar like stuff can be good for conducting current. Leon

I think you are right, I cleaned them up and seems to be working normal now. Have to give it a more lengthy test run. I have ordered new ones just in case.

An update on my fan relays and some schooling needed. I installed the new relays and took it for a test run. I still have a problem because when I parked it and the ac had been running the fan would not shut down even after a lengthy wait. I unplugged the relay so we could leave the car. When we came back to the car I plugged the relay back together, no fan came on and we came home. This evening I went out to check it out. The car was cold, I started it and turned the ac on, let it run for a few minutes, turned it off and the fan would not stop running. I turned the engine off and then turned the ignition to on without starting and the fan was stopped. I then started it with the ac off and when I turned the engine off the fan was not running. So what would cause the fan to keep running only when the ac was on even on a cool engine?? What to check next? Thanks, Leon

Check the delay relay (the big one). Unplug it to see if it fixes the problem. Maybe rusted inside causing the fan to run when not needed. Ask Earl Brown about that relay...He'll tell you exactly what to do with it :)

Unplug the big one, leave it unplugged, that is unless you enjoy jump starting your car, because that relay WILL kill your battery for no rhyme or reason

Attachments

• 8D92FFAF-D3DD-4B30-A4A7-947BC906578A.jpeg
    8D92FFAF-D3DD-4B30-A4A7-947BC906578A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 86
OK, I unplugged it and it certainly stopped the fan. Why would turning the ignition key to on then off stop it as well? Also, does it hurt anything to go without one, obviously GM thought it was necessary to keep cooling the system after shut down for some reason? I opened it up and looks clean inside, cleaned the tar off the plugs and plugged it back together with dielectric grease and it made no difference. I will order a new one from Highway Stars in any case. Leon

All your questions answered here from John Spina of Casper's Electronics. Starts at about 3:35.

Just get rid of the relay.

Thanks for that video Heskahoka, All good info, I will leave it off. This site is much appreciated. Leon

Most people take the delay relay out and throw it as far into the woods as possible so they’re not tempted to put it back in.