Here's a list of bulb numbers

dennisL

Contrary to popular belief, a list of bulb numbers is not included in the 1987 Buick Owner's Manual (I checked). Also since the Service Manual wiring diagrams don't show the numbers either, I decided to make a list. The draft version is attached.

I need your help to include the digital dash info and also any differences with '86 Regals. The list, so far is based on my '87 GN with analog dash and T-tops. Please reply if the hard top dome light is different or if I overlooked anything. I'll revise the list based on your input and post it here.

Why bother you might ask? Here's just a few reasons ... the bulb and led websites have catalogs but they are generic. Some numbers are correct but others don't always apply. An accurate list will save you time and might save some money. Refer to it before buying a replacement or at the junk yard. Oh, it is not my intention to include replacement numbers, as there are many. I think I'll just stick with the original bulb numbers from the factory.

So let me know what the analog - digital dash bulb differences are, 86 vs 87 differences, or anything else you would like to see on this page.
- Dennis
** UPDATE #1 ** - The attached list is now the final version.
** UPDATE #2 ** - Attached list is Rev 2

Attachments

• 87 GN Lamps-R2.pdf
    39 KB · Views: 2,231
Last edited:
Nice list, I like the pictures being there too. Note that the drivers side courtesy light is a #194 bulb. The passenger side is correct with the #89 bulb. This is on an '87 TB.

One that is missing is the dome map lamp bulbs. They may be an 1891, a bayonet base bulb.

The glove box bulb, should be a #194 or similar. The console shift indicator takes a #194.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Very nice List!! Once completed, this should be a sticky.
What I can contribute for the digital dash...John Spina from Caspers did a writeup on the digital dash with bulb numbers in it:

http://www.installationinstructions.com/FYI/digitaldash.pdf

I have attached a picture from that file with part numbers.
Hope it helps.

Attachments

• Digital dash bulbs.JPG
    Digital dash bulbs.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,162
I was just looking for a list like this.... I'm about to swap out all the bulbs in my car and this will make it easier.

Nice list, I like the pictures being there too. Note that the drivers side courtesy light is a #194 bulb. The passenger side is correct with the #89 bulb. This is on an '87 TB.

One that is missing is the dome map lamp bulbs. They may be an 1891, a bayonet base bulb.

The glove box bulb, should be a #194 or similar. The console shift indicator takes a #194.

RemoveBeforeFlight
Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.
I updated my list to include the glove box and changed the label for gear indicator. I will post a revised list soon.
Are you sure about the driver's courtesy light being 194? That's not what's in my 87 GN and I'm the original owner. If yours is truly a 194 and not a mod, then I will add it to the list.

Can anyone confirm the hardtop dome map light bulb? Is it 1891?
Thanks.

Driver's courtesy light: as far as I know the socket hasn't been changed. I'll look later to see if there is a splice in the wires for it. If so then it is likely not original.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK, checked the wires to the drivers side courtesy light socket, no splices, goes right into the harness. Must be a difference in interior trim or maybe the dash type between our cars.

Another bulb I thought of is the manual HVAC control head, uses a #194 bulb.

RemoveBeforeFlight

My under dash interior lights are different. The driver side is a screw in type bulb, and the passenger side is a push in style bulb.

Great info by the way!!!

Makes one wonder if the courtesy light sockets are random. That is when making a harness there are both type of sockets available to use. And they just mixed and matched them. Crazy...

RemoveBeforeFlight

Makes one wonder if the courtesy light sockets are random. That is when making a harness there are both type of sockets available to use. And they just mixed and matched them. Crazy...

RemoveBeforeFlight
Good catch on the HVAC bulb. I forgot about that one. And thanks for checking your driver-side courtesy bulb.
I updated the chart but want to wait a while before I post it, in case there's more input.
On the courtesy lights, I wish I could list "GN's have xxx, T-Types have xxx, etc" but apparently its not that simple. Go figure.

I bet nobody realized they had about 50 light bulbs (varies slightly with options) in their car!!!

I bet nobody realized they had about 50 light bulbs (varies slightly with options) in their car!!!

Plus the 3 or 4 in the radio and the one in the defroster switch. Although they are not easy to replace. It's a lot of bulbs. Then the coach lights, cornering lights, and the electroluminescent dash panel on the Limited Edition cars. Although I'm not sure that the coach and cornering lights where available on a TB.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK I just revised the attached pdf on the first post, so if you downloaded the draft version, then go back and download the final version.
-Dennis

Two things - I just realized that the hardtop dome/reading light center bulb is missing from the list. Its the one with the double end caps. Anyone know its number?

The other thing is I would like to include the '84 - '87 bulb info from Caspers, but I don't know where each bulb is used and the year(s) it was used. Help here will make this list more complete.

Thanks again for the input.
Oh, I think my next project will be a mini tutorial on selecting led replacements for these bulbs. Stay tuned...
- Dennis

Def interested led info. I was thinking about how it might look if our tail lights were a sequential led?