Help with Waste Gate

erfig

Im finally putting my GN back together... Trying to figure out witch waste gate to get... The motor is a stock block worked steel head, using a P trim 70 turbo with 80lb injectors... Hope to install a classic fast system... I both internal and external waste gate down pipes and plan on installing a electric boost control with two stages... i have a internal Turbonetics Dual Port Wastegate Actuators and the external external is a ..HKS GT Wastegate - 0.9- 1.3 kg/cm2 Im looking for a street car that could be able to dip down to low 10 sec... would one of these work with my setup or is there something better suited.

thanks

eric

Witch one would be the most reliable and easier to work with... also how would i set up the one with the Turbonetics dual ports...

thanks for the reply

eric

Imo

Internal gate pipe will give less head ache.

External gate pipes can be harder to get the boost down. Extensive port work to the turbo housing is usually required.

RL

Internal gate pipe will give less head ache.

External gate pipes can be harder to get the boost down. Extensive port work to the turbo housing is usually required.

RL

i disagree with the external gate comment. if its built into the pass side manifold just before the turbo then boost control is very stable...on my current setup an external is stable down to about 3 psi

an internal gate will be alot easier to setup (cause its already there) but boost control at lower psi like 17 and under with a efficient turbo will be very difficult

Am internal gate with a heavy spring is plenty for this application

Is the dual port the way to go with internal or is there a better option
The dual port is a neat thing when used with a boost control but would prolly be better off with single port. Less confusion. Keep it simple if you are just starting out. All that fancy stuff will just have you scratching your head. Like Bison says, a tight spring single port actuator and your good to go. :cool:

HTH

RL

i disagree with the external gate comment. if its built into the pass side manifold just before the turbo then boost control is very stable...on my current setup an external is stable down to about 3 psi an internal gate will be alot easier to setup (cause its already there) but boost control at lower psi like 17 and under with a efficient turbo will be very difficult
It's all about spring pressure and waste gate port efficiency. That being said, yes a external gate will control boost better off the header but the op was asking about a external gate pipe. 2 totally different set ups. The boost does not have to squeeze through a little hole in the exhaust housing and make a couple drastic turns to escape.

RL

How would i hook up the dual port gate... i have a elec boost control... i had a gn back in the 90's was pretty handy with it.... alots changed in 10 years....

Method1.jpg