Help with charging issue after gauge cluster install

vader87

Protected Freedom for 27 years! Thank a Veteran!
Just installed a new aftermarket set of gauges. I have been searching on how to wire the circuit so that the alternator will charge. The volt gauge is getting a voltage reading from the cluster power instead of a dedicated circuit, So how do I wire the circuit that use to have the bulb in it? Do I need to solder in some kind of resistor? What wires do I need to wire into the circuit? Any and all help will be appreciated!

When I did my Dash install I soldered in a resistor between one of the pnk/blk wires and the brn wire that goes to the alternator lamp circuit. The resistor was 470 ohm, 1/2 watt IIRC. It takes the place of the volts indicator bulb. You could purchase a field fix from Caspers that is entirely plug and play at the alternator as a different option as well.

Do a search on this forum for charging issues and it should bring up tons of information about this type of gauge install problem with supporting data.

http://turbobuick.com/forums/thread...eping-13-volts-after-led-dash-install.417628/

Thanks for your answer. I think o will go with the field fix.

glad I found this, good info. Beats leaving a bulb socket behind the dash to keep the alternator charging.