Help setting cam sensor

I also just did mine on a fresh build 2 days ago and it fired up in about half a second. Gotta love it.

D

Put the engine on TDC and measure 1.45" to the left (counterclockwise) of the TDC mark. Scribe a line on the balancer. Now rotate the engine to the "new" mark and set the cam sensor.

The point is, I thought the factory didn't have time to do stuff like this,

So, do you think they did this on the line?

One can only assume they had a speedy method. If all someone did all day long was set the cam sensor i'm sure they would be fast at it with the dot method.

I works for me.

D

Just a small fly in your theory..

Maybe they had a sticker just like caspers. Something like that would make it work..

no sticker
no #3 mark on body that would be redundant of the cap locator tab
no mark on timing cover

set crank to tdc on the compression stroke then move to 25 atdc

point dot on gear to passenger fender and drop sensor body in
(you may need to rotate the oil gear with a long screwdriver )

when it drops in it rotates and the reluctor ring window opening should be between 4-5 Oclock

look at the lower edge of the window at 5:00 position and draw an imaginary line through the center screw and the stake tab and rotate the body to line that up with the cap locator tab
tighten the retainer bolt
put the cap back on making sure the locator tab is in and the wiring should be at approx 4:30
done

Now were're going in circles. How does the factory know how to find 25deg?

Not to be an a$$, but there are prolly a hundred ways they "could" have done this on the line. If you know how to set it correctly now, WTF does it matter? :confused:

not saying this was the method but
if you align the edge of the thicker rear section of the balancer with the top of the oil pump (the square block area) on timing cover its very close to 25atdc

on the bench without the accesories in the way they would have only needed a small measuring gauge placed between the timing tab and the timing mark to determine 25atdc

roll yours to 25atdc and youll see the relationship of the timing mark to the timing tab

now go find something better to do because setting a cam sensor has been beat to death on this board and yet still comes up once a week ..its getting old

Holy crap. I've known how to set a cam sensor for many many years now....

...after reading all this I think I done unlearn' it.

are meters really that hard to read now?

No meters aren't that hard to read these days. when i was researching how to install and set the cam sensor i just realized there had to be an easier way than having to use any tools. as was stated in an earlier post. there had to be an easy fast way on the line when these motors were being built. Thats all this thread was about. i know it's not difficult to install and set it with meter. but this way is even easier. :)