Help On Rebuilding 200 4R, How Bad is it?

78oldscutlass

Why am I here?
Hi Everybody, Im new to the board
I know You guys may not like non-Buick people (Dont get me wrong, GN's are FAST! Wouldn't mind having one.), But GN people have dealt with the 200 4R isuess. I was referred here because all the tranny guru's are here.

Ok, Ill start from where I am at.

I have an 86 KCF code 200 4R. I have disassemble it, cleaned it, and begun to put it all together. I am at the point now of installing the OD components.

I am rebuilding this thing with ALL Art Carr stuff (mistake 1). Everything you can get for the 200 4R. Even bought a 3500 stall, 9" lockup converter for $780 (mistake 2).

Now what has me disapointed now, is Bruce's Post about the 200 4R recently. Is this Art Carr stuff any good anymore? (bought all the stuff last year) I got the super rebuild kit(which increases the frictions in the direct drum/overdrive), Art Carr Foward drum (its junk right?) The billet servo (could of got it cheaper).5" boost valve, High output pump kit (10 vane) and their shift kit.

Will this thing hold up to 550 Ft lbs of torque? (455 Olds is going in front) I have an empty bank account now, so buying more stuff is pretty much off limits. I Had to buy new planets, L/R clutch housing, Lo roller and inner race, harden stator, new pump body (the slide clearence is .002") and thrust bearings. (tranny had burnt fowards and L/R clutches when it was disassembled)

I have the Blind splined input shaft also. How Long will it live, since most of the critical thrust washers are still plastic and the frictions in the direct drum was increased?

Also, why dont the billet servos have the steel inner piston like OEM? What is its purpose?

Thank you in advance. I think this is gonna be my last tranny Rebuild. I think Im just gonna buy ones already built.

78oldscutlass

Member of Oldspower.com and FordvsChevy.com

Hello 78 Olds,

May I make a suggestion.... Stop what you are doing and call Bruce.

I have a 1971 olds with a 68 455 in it with a 200R4 trans behind it. I've spent the last two years back and forth with my trans shop before we got something that I can use.

These things have a few tricks that require some attention to survive against the mighty 455......

Give him a call and if he says you need this then buy it. Or ask him if there is a trans builder near by that he trusts....

The last thing you want is to bring the motor up to 5000 RPM and something letting go.. Bye Bye 455 and I know how cheap they are to rebuild.....:)

I'm just like you and can't stand letting anyone do the work for me. Not because I'm cheap and unwilling to pay but because I get the satisfaction of building something and seeing it work. These trans are not turbo 400's and they didn't come stock strong enough to handle an olds 455.

Good luck and do yourself a favor and give Bruce a call. He is a great guy and is willing to share his knowledge with anyone. And if he can't help you he will direct you to someone he can.... If you want to hear more about my experiences give me an email on my hotmail account and I'll be more than glad to chat.

Play the odds

Send your pump to PTS for rework and buy the forward drum and band anchor from PTS and you should be OK from a making it live prospective. You did not say what kind of band you had but you need the Alto wide--it has a stronger anchor.

If you want the best performance, you may need a different valve body but someone like Bruce would have to respond to that. It is not clear to me what his shift kit will do for a non-performance valve body.

I would be curious about what others say about Art Carr converters now adays. From reading the other posts on the board I know that the PTS converter is a killer piece at a great price. But like you I've got an Art Carr converter sitting in a box.

I think the Art Carr forward drum is just stock chevy, maybe heat treated, but not junk--just subject to break like all GM stockers.

Good luck! I feel your pain (guess where I live), I found Bruce one week after buying a bunch of rebuild parts to build back up trannies because I had "accepted" that the 200 4Rs would break every few months.

Hey, anyone want to buy some Kolene coated steels and an NOS Art Carr converter?