Help me decide if I've been ripped off (long)

Crazy D

Resident Madcap
Needing an LS1 MAF I placed ads on both LS1.com and CZ28.com, and then of course went with the guy who offered the lowest price ($50 shipped, wow). I paypal'ed him the money, and it came in a timely enough manner, despite looking like it must have come from Canada (though I'd thought the guy was from the Pacific NW, as he frequents one of those forums). That is, the ENDS came. I don't know about you guys, but myself and everyone else I know considers "MAF" to mean the ends AND the electronic sensor part. When I pm'd him he said he thought I just wanted the ends and he'd send the sensor part to me, and asked what year I wanted. Uhh.... WTF, how bout the sensor that went with these ends??!?! So I just told him it was for my GN and I needed an LS1 sensor. I even offered to paypal him back the shipping on this one.
This was about a month ago. A couple weeks back I pm'd him and asked him if he had sent it. He said yes, he'd get me a tracking #, but never did. Several days later I told him since it still hadn't arrived, I'd take that tracking #. Nothing. So another PM from me. He replies that customs has it and he'd keep in touch. My mind's translation: "I never sent it, I'm screwing you, and I'll never message you again". This was 2 days ago.

My very restrained, nice as I can be reply would sound something like: "I don't suppose I need to tell you what a crock that sounds like. If you don't have the sensor, I'd just like my $50 paypal'ed back to me. If I don't hear from you in 48 hours, I'll go under the assumption you're ripping me off, and you'll know when I reach that conclusion". At that point I would post all over both F-body boards blacklisting him. I have not sent any reply yet, should I say something else? In a couple of weeks, not having an LS1 MAF is going to really screw w/ my car plans and I'll be further pissed.

Sigh, guess it's back to the boards I go to see if I can get one for real this time. I don't want to spend $150 (or $200 total) to get a new one. I guess it'll be about $120 for a used one.

Sorry Dave, but that sure sounds like a rip-off artist to me.

Did you use a credit card w/ your PayPal account? You might have some options with the CC company.

Give Ramchargers a call. I don't think I paid over $150 for a new 3.5" LS1 MAF when I got my Translator package a few months ago.

Your other option would be trying the local salvage yards. At least then you can get your grubby little hands on it when you fork over the $$$.

John

Paypal will freeze his account if you object the charges.Tell him that in an email and give him an hour before you have his account frozen. If nothing else it will be a PITA

If your PayPal payment was via Credit Card vs a Checking Account debit AND 60 days have not passed, simply telephone your Credit Card company and request the transaction be flagged as disputed. The CC company will do so immediately, then snail mail forms to you that must be completed asap and returned. This does not appear to be a complicated issue. Your only constraint may be the time factor.

Yes, Paypal and your credit card company will help. I just got an 02 LS1 MAF on ebay for $77.50 shipped.

map

Give him a chance, I order 40 batteries from a guy in canada and it took 35 days to get here. I even tracked it and customs had it for 3 weeks. Should have been here in 5 days but they kept it for 3 weeks. I was mad at the guy at first but, found out that it was not his fault. Give it about a month.

The guy sent you just the ends to a maf sensor. No one is that stupid. He ripped you off.PERIOD.

SHIPPING BACK AND FORTH TO CANADA TAKES A LOT LONGER THAN WITHIN THE US. MAYBE YOU NEED TO BE MORE PATIENT.

and also remember:

IF A DEAL LOOKS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE, IT PROBABLY IS. ;)