Help ID'ing car

breesy1226

Can someone please help me ID the attached car? I'm leaning towards 1986. The split side window has me confused, I can't find others like that, and I can't make out what it says behind that window. The combination of the hood, luggage rack, spare tire and leather seats have me thinking it's a turbo with custom items added. Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• Buick.jpg
    Buick.jpg
    594.1 KB · Views: 165
Can someone please help me ID the attached car? I'm leaning towards 1986. The split side window has me confused, I can't find others like that, and I can't make out what it says behind that window. The combination of the hood, luggage rack, spare tire and leather seats have me thinking it's a turbo with custom items added. Thanks for your help.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Model_year

If you want to look at it another way, the model year code is represented by the 8th digit in from the last digit of a 17 digit VIN.

Example : VIN # VWAW15WS12VFE5432

That V in the same spot would indicate a 1987, a 7 would indicate a 1997 and an H in the same spot would indicate a 2007. Current model 2018 year models are represented by a J.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Model_year

If you want to look at it another way, the model year code is represented by the 8th digit in from the last digit of a 17 digit VIN.

Example : VIN # VWAW15WS12VFE5432

That V in the same spot would indicate a 1987, a 7 would indicate a 1997 and an H in the same spot would indicate a 2007. Current model 2018 year models are represented by a J.

Hope this helps.

Well, I'm glad I proof read my response. Holy CRAP I messed that up!

That H in the same spot would indicate a 1987, a V would indicate a 1997 and a 7 in the same spot would indicate a 2007. Current model 2018 year models are represented by a J.

Sorry for the confusion!!!!!!!!!

I'm guessing it started life as an 86 wh1 and had the vinyl top, luggage rack and continental kit added to it from there. Looks like it might have a third brake light and I wish i could read the emblems on that vinyl top.

My guess:
87 turbo limited that was customized by the dealer or the owner shortly thereeafter. That vinyl top and continental kit are both 80s conversions. Lots of upholstery shops did stuff like this back in the day. Absolutely awful.

My bad. Just saw the front. It is an 86 grill. Would be an ultra rare wh1 with leather pillow seats.

Its not really a split window, just the vinyl covered fiberglass cap was made that way. The glass is solid behind it like normal.

The script on the vinyl top probably reads the name of the coach maker and that'll give you something to google. But yeah it's an 80's custom/coach built and not factory. Still cool though.

I'm thinking we need more pix of this rare machine. Thirty yrs after the grille isn't much of an identifier. We need some pix including the spid label and more of the interior, door panels to be specific.

I love the eighties!
White walls FTW!

:confused:OoohF!