Help identifying this turbo and checkout/repair plan (on 84 hot air)

BH 84 T-Type

I am rebuilding my '84 hot air and need help identifying this turbo (Garrett's web site tells me nothing) in order check it out/repair it.

Compressor side- Aluminum casting (inlet casting removed): Inducer=46.3 mm (1.823") Exducer= 60 mm (2.368") casting markings: M10 A (A in cursive font) Garrett

Exhaust side- Steel csting (not taken apart)- casting markings: A.R .63 M26 Q1 or O1 A (A in cursive font)

What model/size of turbo do I have so I can get new seals (see seals below)?

Goal: Rebuild motor with performance enhancements to get to the low 12s /high 11s WITH THIS TURBO. The car has 85,000 on it (I put the last 50,000 miles on the car w/o a turbo change).

Check out plan: Check oil seals by pressurizing the oil inlet with 60psi air and looking for any pressure decay. Replace if needed. Shaft bushings- Checked the compressor shaft play: tight in the axial direction, 0.009" total movement in the radial direction (about 0.0045" radial movement side to side). No rubbing on the compressor casting. I was told this was acceptable radial movement. Opinions?

Blades do not show any visible damage.

Repair plan- looking for the following seals: compressor inlet casting/compressor back plate o-ring face seal, o-rings for the tapered tube from the turbo to the intake manifold. Where can I get these?

I am rebuilding my '84 hot air and need help identifying this turbo (Garrett's web site tells me nothing) in order check it out/repair it.

Compressor side- Aluminum casting (inlet casting removed): Inducer=46.3 mm (1.823") Exducer= 60 mm (2.368") casting markings: M10 A (A in cursive font) Garrett

Exhaust side- Steel csting (not taken apart)- casting markings: A.R .63 M26 Q1 or O1 A (A in cursive font)

What model/size of turbo do I have so I can get new seals (see seals below)?

Goal: Rebuild motor with performance enhancements to get to the low 12s /high 11s WITH THIS TURBO. The car has 85,000 on it (I put the last 50,000 miles on the car w/o a turbo change).

Check out plan: Check oil seals by pressurizing the oil inlet with 60psi air and looking for any pressure decay. Replace if needed. Shaft bushings- Checked the compressor shaft play: tight in the axial direction, 0.009" total movement in the radial direction (about 0.0045" radial movement side to side). No rubbing on the compressor casting. I was told this was acceptable radial movement. Opinions?
Blades do not show any visible damage.

Repair plan- looking for the following seals: compressor inlet casting/compressor back plate o-ring face seal, o-rings for the tapered tube from the turbo to the intake manifold. Where can I get these?

Turbo identification ;) :
Turbocharger Photo Guide

Goal:High 11 - low 12's
Do Search for keyword "Gastest", "TA33" in the Hot Air section
(You need more than "just a turbo" for low 12's :wink: )

Described Condition:
Axial play acceptable :biggrin:
Radial play acceptable:smile:

Rebuild kit
Any turbo OUtfit has the kit/seals
(Would not advice rebuilding yourself, but you may have better luck :smile: )

Largest upgrade in THIS turbo
TA33 - Search for "Fastest" and "TA33" :smile:

Thanks for the link to the photo guide. Sounds like I am OK with the turbo bearings, I will post how the other checks go. Any "turbo outfit" that you recommend for the seals mentioned (my turbo looks like the stock one in the photo guide)? I plan on other performance upgrades to get to my goal including: fuel pump, injectors, cam, 3" exhaust (if I can find the cross-over, up and down pipes), ported 62 mm TB, thumbwheel chip, tuning system and traction....want to beat a friend w/ '05 mustang in the 1/4 mile.

........... other performance upgrades to get to my goal including: fuel pump, injectors, cam, 3" exhaust (if I can find the cross-over, up and down pipes), ported 62 mm TB, thumbwheel chip, tuning system and traction....want to beat a friend w/ '05 mustang in the 1/4 mile.

Good start.
First off, what does the Mustang run and what is your goal?
See, if the mustang runs 11's, there is a lot more to do that mid 13's

Your signature does not indicate mods or scan tool, so I would recommend;
Budget for a scan tool
Think about adding an alky system.

Edit:
Contact limit engineering for the TA33 upgrade and seals. Read through the thread. :smile:
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/turbos-turbo-related-parts/189134-te-44-rebuild.html

Thought I'd post this regarding the PAC alky system;

Cheapest performance adder, PERIOD!

Estimated 8HP/lbs of boost increase (estimated)
Boost increase w/alky 10 PSI (easy)
HP increase @ 10psi = 80
Kit cost $500 (est)
At $6.25 /HP = No brainer/Untouchable.

Buying a proven TR kit, another no brainer.
Getting AWESOME service and TECH supprt, another no brainer.

Spanking other cars on the road = Priceless

The competition is an '05 GT with 335 stock HP (i think), and he has not ran the 1/4 mile yet (at least he has not told me if he has). Thanks for the alky info...it sounds like good performance for the cost. At what point along the intake path do these kits inject the alcohol? Does an alky kit cause any concerns with daily driving? Would it be diffficult to return the car back to stock in the future (although not likely in the near future, I want be be able to get my '84 WH1 back to original stock due to the low production build numbers on these cars)? Thanks for the helpful information.

The competition is an '05 GT with 335 stock HP (i think), and he has not ran the 1/4 mile yet (at least he has not told me if he has). Thanks for the alky info...it sounds like good performance for the cost. At what point along the intake path do these kits inject the alcohol? Does an alky kit cause any concerns with daily driving? Would it be diffficult to return the car back to stock in the future (although not likely in the near future, I want be be able to get my '84 WH1 back to original stock due to the low production build numbers on these cars)? Thanks for the helpful information.

Re: Alky kit
The system activates around 4.5 PSI only.
Kit does NOT effect daily driving (actually enhances it :biggrin: )
It is proven and easy to install
Injection is in the adapter, after the turbo on most cars
It can be removed at any time and get the car back to stock (Or just turn the system off and decrease the boost :tongue: )

Here is a good thread
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/177890-question-hot-air-alkys.html

Re: Mustang
Not sure what to tell you there since I have no 1/4 mile experience.
Stock format, you will most likely not keep up. You will need some performance parts: Turbo, alky, yadi yada.
I'll let the experts fill in the blanks ....................................

All I know, a stock GT used to frighten me ........ Then, I started learning about the real power of the dark side through some "real life experiences". (And I have a pretty bad tune. :biggrin: :cool:)

Edit:
What is your location?

One more link
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/hot-air-non-intercooled-tech/204243-razor.html