Hello to all.

Swigg

So i decided to get in to gear with my 1984 t-type. My grandmother gave it to me finally a couple of years ago after I showed my interest in it since she bought it new. Didn't cost me a dime. I love grandmothers. The car is straight in good shape inside and out and just needs to be painted which I'm starting on shorlty. The car is bone stock. Runs good and strong. She only drove it to the store and back like once a week for 20 years. It had only 65k miles on it when i got it, but the odomoter has since gone out so that screws any proof on original miles. O well. I'm new to the tunning and performance upgrading of these cars. Where to start? I figured i would go ahead and get a scan tool so I'll know what the car is doing all time. What is a good one for that year and the fact it is hot air? I saw the ones at fool throttle but they say they are for 86-87. Also, would be interesting in upgrading the headers, up and down pipes, and exhaust system to start with. The down pipe has a small pinhole in it, whcih is more iritating b/c I'm tired of smelling the exhaust in the car all the time. Anyone know a good place i can shop at to get headers, up/down pipes, etc. to begin that upgrade. Look forward to any advice folks. Thanks.

congrats on getting a HA TR. If its a 84 bone stock its hot air.
hmm let me take a breather 1st......ok
depends on what you want to do with the car?restore, update it, get into the low 11's??

Scan tool is limited to 84/85 so a ECM upgrade to the 86/87 ECM will give you more options to chips, tho most will say TT chip(turbo tweak.com) if not everyone.(i dont have it but want it so there) ECM can be found on ebay or junkyard off other cars. I don't know which but sure someone will tell you in a bit.

Fuel pump is a must upgrade and get a hotwire kit (must) racetronix.com great upgrade and will support other upgrades as well exp cam/more boost/exhaust etc etc

headers can be found at postons, kinda price E but you will learn that comes with owning a TR! haha ;) or you can get a 86/87 driver side header, better flow i heard.

DP, UP are ok to me, i havent done this mod yet but if you can lose the stock elbow and have a DP made or something.

more to say but these are a few, others would be shocks,tires,cold air intake,LS1 maf with translator fullthrottle speed.com

Congrats tho on getting a nice car:cool:

PS for that PINHOLE in the DP if you can reach it, get exhaust repair kit well its called MUFFLER repair kit. bout 10 dolllars at a autoparts store. Wrap up that pipe, can't enjoy the car if you die from all those fumes no joke.:cool:

as for your miles on the car, i got less then 55k on mine but still drive it everywhere, its great to drive a TR. Whatever you pull up next to. we always get respect. I was next to a 454 ss truck, guy gave me a thumbs up. THO i dont race anymore, wouldn't want to. Bad way to die i say, being dumb.

well I want to do a lil of the three. Restore the car body and interior to original(interior almost done), update some things(ECM, turbo pipes, exhaust, etc.), and not so much low 11s as maybe high 11s or low 12s. Still want it as a daily driver but ry to keep as original as possible. I dont see too many T-types that haven't been raced out anymore. Anyway, ill look in to upgrading that ECM and keep my eye out for one. bad thing about the fuel pump is i just replaced it b/c it went out. Wish i would have thought about it then and dished out a lil extra money for that hot wire one. Your not kiddin about the cost of some of this stuff. As far as the down pipe i talk with my Race buddy and see what he thinks about the down pipe and repairing it. The muffler repair stuff isn't bad its just I'm afraid when i pull off the brading on the pipe ill see its pretty thin all over and will need replacing anyway. Keep the info coming guys i appreciate. Thanks.

I do like driving it. I almost don't want to start the paint process as it will take a while and I might go in to Boost withdrawal.

got any pics?
how is the car optioned? mine is just about as stripped as you could get from the dealer- and that's just the way i like it.

Update

Yeah i def. have been doing lots of work on it. Started the paint process mid of this week. Car is stripped down and partly sanded down for primer. Going to go down to metal and start paint new. Going to take off the door and disassemble them monday and take them to be dipped for paint stripping. I have lots of pics just not at my home computer right now. I'll try to remember to post some. The car has lots of options. Power everything and remote mirrors, etc. Still got the original bill of sale from the glove box. Think the original cost was around 13,800.00. Ill try to scan it and the option sheet. Had what i believe to be a dealer installed option of belt molding down the sides. It was riveted in and not worth anything when i took it off. So if anyone has ideas on replacing it with maybe some like the stick on GN style belt molding and were to get it, i would love it.