Hedman hustler headers

robzombie

Has anybody used these headers and how did you like the fit and performance??

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

From what I've read they are good headers, but I don't have experience with them. I believe there was a run of them made and not many of them out there for sale. However, this community is about performance not rarity. Pretty neat that they were made by a big header company though, I would run them.

I got them in a bulk purchase of parts and didn't even know that hedman made TR headers.

I'm curious as to what the performance value is but seeing that stock ones go pretty far I assume these are at least that good if not better.

That's why I wondered more about fit and or what application they are best for??

Fit is good, however if running a girdle you will need to make modifications. I'm hoping to run a 9.5-9.6 second 1/4 mile this year in THS trim.

They look a lot like Postons.

I believe your correct, I ran a set of postons back in the 90's. They look identical for sure. After 10 years or so, the drivers side blew apart where the primaries collect. The passenger side cracked at several weld joints as well. The fit was good, performace was similar to stock as I recall. I moved on to TA performance headers on my last rebuild.

IIRC these were put out by the GSCA club [Mark???] as a group buy deal, so many sets had to be pre sold before production would begin.

From what I've read they are good headers, but I don't have experience with them. I believe there was a run of them made and not many of them out there for sale. However, this community is about performance not rarity. Pretty neat that they were made by a big header company though, I would run them.

The GSCA had Hedman make several runs of these over the years. They reviewed very favorably, but I don't recall a HP rating or ET range being given.
It seems like they made quite a few sets (mild steel only, I believe)

When we developed and tested the TA headers years ago there were many considerations in the design that we found that were significant, and one was the size of the tubes and especially the opening on the 3 bolt turbo flange.

The turbo opening was enlarged from the size in a stock header, but it was found it hurt exhaust velocity so we went with the stock size opening to maintain good turbo response.

The Poston header, and the Headman/GSCA headers, use a larger diameter collector pipe on the passenger side header which also adversely affects flow velocity, not really bad, but noticeable on some builds.

Depending on the turbo, if there is a lag in response we found installing a smaller orifice, or an insert, in the 3 bolt opening would help.

Not really pertinent to the subject headers, we did fabricate a few sets of custom race headers for high HP/RPM applications, and we found using a 1-5/8" primary tube instead of the 1-1/2" stock size tube at the exhaust flange provided significant gains with big exhaust valves and race ported heads.

With all that said Rob, my opinion is your build and turbo will be fine with those headers, especially when you step up to alum heads with way more exhaust flow! ;)

They look like the old Poston headers. Every set of them I have seen cracked within a couple years. In several different spots.

I went from a set of these to a set of ta's and the difference in spoolup was very noticeable on my car as nick mentioned above. Also, the flanges are only 3/8 thick and warp/distort really bad if used with gaskets.

I went from a set of these to a set of ta's and the difference in spoolup was very noticeable on my car as nick mentioned above. Also, the flanges are only 3/8 thick and warp/distort really bad if used with gaskets.

Some of your spool issues may have been due to your cam selection and compression. Also if you had big valve heads it would help some also.

If so, they were miraculously cured by switching to headers with smaller primaries and a smaller inlet to the turbo.

If so, they were miraculously cured by switching to headers with smaller primaries and a smaller inlet to the turbo.

My point exactly. You didn't have enough motor to run bigger tube headers that flowed more than what you have now.

Fair enough, i doubt the target audience for these headers is gonna have enough motor to achieve quick spool with them