Headliner

wb_7354

Who sells the correct headliner for “87 GN hardtop? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the ABS headliner here. It is covered in Medium Dark Gray which looks ok but is darker than the visors. I think it will look alright once reinstalled. The seats have faded over time, I can see the bottom edge of the rear seat is quite a bit darker that the exposed part. I have to figure out a way to hold the headliner up while I am installing it. It is much heavier than the original foamboard. I think I can use ratchet straps over the roof through the windows but for the rear I am going to have to prop up the corners with some 2x2s wrapped in towels until I can get the quarter trim back in. The joys of working alone.

I have the ABS headliner here. It is covered in Medium Dark Gray which looks ok but is darker than the visors. I think it will look alright once reinstalled. The seats have faded over time, I can see the bottom edge of the rear seat is quite a bit darker that the exposed part. I have to figure out a way to hold the headliner up while I am installing it. It is much heavier than the original foamboard. I think I can use ratchet straps over the roof through the windows but for the rear I am going to have to prop up the corners with some 2x2s wrapped in towels until I can get the quarter trim back in. The joys of working alone.
Put the wife at one corner, the gf at the other.
You at the front. That way, you can exit first!;)

I worked from the back forward using the back trim piece to hold the headliner in while I worked forward. The sides I screwed the clips in but did not install the trim pieces until i was happy with the way the headliner fit. Make sure the headliner is centered or it will cause some fitment issues when installing the sun visors (if your headliner has pre-drilled holes for the visors as mine did). Make sure you have some spare front clips, I broke 3 before I got it. Be patient and don't pound on it :unsure:. Good luck.

Thanks, slowly getting it secured. My plan for supporting it is working well, I also have the interior out except for the driver seat and console for room to crawl around. I am working front to back getting the visors installed first - they are a PIA because there is no way to locate them easily without peeking over the edge to get the screws started. I could not do this for a living, its what I envision yoga to be. Got new clips ordered too. For the map light version, the holes are not pre-drilled to mount the light fixture base plate. I cut off some screws and screwed them in the holes so I can use a hammer to indent the ABS to properly locate them.

On it goes. The visor holes - 5 of 6 were ok, one on the driver side was not right and i had to drill. The map light mentioned above was not drilled and was also tedious to get lined up. The coat hooks were way off and I basically had to get one side close and make the other side match. Looks good but again, measuring and drilling required on both sides. The headliner is up but maybe 1/8" off to the left, close enough that the moldings will cover fine. The 80s weren't precious engineered anyhow. The interior stock is like the movie 50 Shades of Grey, haha.

Finally finished it up this morning, just time consuming. The hardest thing was to get the windshield molding clips secured. The headliner backing does not compress like the OEM foam so getting the clips to click in place took far more force than seemed reasonable. I really had to bang on them. But luckily no leftover screws and all seems well. Note: if you want to save your rear window molding clips, stick an awl up next to where they go through the metal and gently pry them down, you can get one side and then swivel them to one side and remove from the slot. If I had to do it over again, I would draw a diagram of the interior and which length screws go where.

Always leave the windshield trim piece in, no need to remove it. Pretty sure these headliners all come from the manufacturer. Correct me if you know otherwise. I have done 4 yes FOUR in my GN in the past 5 or so years. They would last about a season and start separating from the abs backboard. The last one I got the bare abs backer and material separately and had my local upholstery guy glue it on. Think it might have had something to do with the manufacturer gluing it on and immediately rolling it up to ship it.