headliner install with roll cage in car

breiter

Coolboost
Reluctantly I am having an 8-point cage put in my car in a few weeks. Local tracks kicked me out until I have one. The shop asked me to take the headliner out so they can do the welding w/o burning it. Will I be able to get it back in after the bars are in? My car is a hard top. The cage will have the loop behind the front seats, bars running back up high that drop through the back deck and the bars that come down beside both seats. I am trying to keep my back seat useuable although no one ever rides back there.

Anyone have experience or advice? thanks

I plan to have the car painted so I guess I'll have to take the glass out. That kind of sucks.....thanks for the info

If you buy the replacement one that GBody parts sells, doesn't it come rolled up? If so, then you should be able to wrestle that one in, without too much of a problem. I don't have one myself, so check with someone that has put one in first.

ive heard of removing back glass or removing windsheild

i replaced mine without removing either and i have a close fitting bar with high pro stock rear bars that almost touch the rear glass trim at the bend then go down through speaker holes ,
i left the upper side trim and backglass side trim inplace (loosened them a little) , removed the metal door top trims , coutesy light , A and B pillar trims , windsheild trim and visors
there was enough room to pull the headliner forward and down by the top of dash then spin it and slide it out the passenger door
i redid mine and reinstalled it but .......
the gbody ABS headliner would be soooo much easier :)

FWIW the bar was done with headliner installed , dont see why they need to remove it unless it needs redoing , mine was never out and i only pulled it because helmet rub ruined it

Thanks for the info. I have bought from GBody before and will check them out.

I'm kinda surprised that they asked you to take it out in the first place....there are measures you can take to keep from burning it.

Agreed, you shouldn't need to take the headliner out. But if you must either front or rear glass is the way to do it.
On another note, don't forget to do your body mounts now. It will be nearly impossible after the cage. Good Luck.

My cage was done with it installed. Once I got the car home, the headliner sagged :mad: . Anyone have a pic of Bweavy's headliner or someone besides him that sells it.

I was planning on taking out the backwindow to get the headliner out. Don't like to play with the windshield unless I really have to.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

We have done many bars [and cages] w/o removing the headliner and not damaging them, would think any "good" shop could do the same.:)

As far as replacing the headliner with a bar installed, again find a good shop or upholstery guy and it can be replaced w/o removing glass or the board.

Just had a headliner installed today in a very nice GN with a roll bar. Took about an hour and a half and it looks factory fresh!:)

When we did my cage, I pulled the headliner and had it recovered. Then put it back in before doing the cage. I figured it was never coming out again and I better make it new now. No burns.

thanks for the many replies

I will get the shop to do it with the headliner in the car.

I installed BWeavys headliner board with a full cage in the car.:eek: And it was the moonroof. Slid right in.:p