headliner falling apart, save it?

Gnx6

My headliner is falling apart, I got a new one from nos4gn. The question I have is there any point to saving the old one for the backing or just chuck it? Thanks!

Scott

If you have room to store it, I would save it for future size/dimension reference.
I'd probably save it if it were me.

-Patrick-

I see no point to saving it. It's not worth anything. Maybe save a small piece of it for a color match reference. If you have the room to store it I suppose you could save it.

My headliner is falling apart, I got a new one from nos4gn. The question I have is there any point to saving the old one for the backing or just chuck it? Thanks!

Scott
Is the fabric hanging down or is it crumbling,disintegrating? The backing is solid?
If fabric is sagging it can be reglued.

The backing is impossible to find (especially astroroofs) unless you go ABS.
Just scrape it clean (very carefully) and put some new material on it. Not very difficult to do.

The backing is impossible to find (especially astroroofs) unless you go ABS.
Just scrape it clean (very carefully) and put some new material on it. Not very difficult to do.

I've done several. It's a quick afternoon project.

If the shell is solid, scrape it off and re-cover it and sell or save it.

I've done 3 in the past 3 years all on my GN. They never seem to last more than a year. Talking ABS board, delivered with headliner material already glued on. Ready to install a 4th one when I get the time as the 3rd one has the material coming off the board again. Think it may have to do with them gluing it and immediately rolling it up and putting in the box for shipping. Goes in perfect and then within months you look up and damn, here we go again! This time I got the bare board and got the material separately. Going to have a local upholstery shop glue it up and see how this works out. At least the manufacturer covered all three replacements and shipping. Pretty sure they all come from the source but don't quote me on that.

kirban 2 cents worth

that is one reason we sell in 3 yard increments a roll of the grey material working with that abs board seems to difficult to market.
Plus it seemed heavy.

again just the avenue we took as far as marketing a headliner.

I've done 3 in the past 3 years all on my GN. They never seem to last more than a year. Talking ABS board, delivered with headliner material already glued on. Ready to install a 4th one when I get the time as the 3rd one has the material coming off the board again. Think it may have to do with them gluing it and immediately rolling it up and putting in the box for shipping. Goes in perfect and then within months you look up and damn, here we go again! This time I got the bare board and got the material separately. Going to have a local upholstery shop glue it up and see how this works out. At least the manufacturer covered all three replacements and shipping. Pretty sure they all come from the source but don't quote me on that.

I had the same issue. I ordered an abs one from rock auto. It started sagging within a couple months. [emoji58]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe I will have my upholstery shop glue a gray leather headliner on to the ABS backing. Anyone try another type of material?