Headlight upgrades

raregn

Addicted to BOOST
I know there are literally thousands of posts about headlight upgrades but...

My daily driver is a 2013 F-150 with the factory HID projector headlights and they are awesome! When I go from my truck to the GN the factory halogen headlights on the car really suck, like they are not even on compared to the truck.

Is there anyone who makes a HID conversion for the 4x6 headlights?

239f1b1687c55846820df6d938f7fb26.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look different, do you get flashed from on coming traffic?
Did you just take that picture?
IMG_20181118_2248103.jpg

This is what mine has looked like for a few months now, won't be seeing the light of day till probably May.

I don’t get flashed. The lights have a sharp drop off pattern and probably put less light in the on coming traffics field of view than the stock headlights. They are DOT approved and the only downside I’ve found is the price. They are awesome. I used to hate to drive the GN after dark because the headlights didn’t work very well. I didn’t change anything but the headlights and now I love to drive the car at night. I can see great with the low beams and the high beams allow me to avoid overdriving the headlights at any speed. They aren’t cheap but if you drive after dark it makes things much easier to see. I’m in Florida and this car is driven daily all year. It’s not a garage queen. It’s a low mileage daily driver.

I'll definitely look into those.

My GN is no garage queen either... at least in the summer. I'm in the middle of the bald ass Canadian prairies where it's -36' outside and knee deep snow.
In fact we are under heavy snowfall warnings until tomorrow.

Guys I work at Fleetpride we sell semi truck parts and sell these headlights the brand is TruckLite these are the coolest lights and a great brand but the price is steep but will worth it. I haven’t bought mine because I’m in the in the beginning of a engine rebuild, but go to Truck Lite . Com and check out, see below on part #s. Greg
27640c and 27645c

I'll definitely look into those.

My GN is no garage queen either... at least in the summer. I'm in the middle of the bald ass Canadian prairies where it's -36' outside and knee deep snow.
In fact we are under heavy snowfall warnings until tomorrow.

I don’t know how you guys live in that. I don’t like it when it’s 36 outside. I can’t even imagine -36. Hope it warms up soon for you guys up there.

I know there are literally thousands of posts about headlight upgrades but...

My daily driver is a 2013 F-150 with the factory HID projector headlights and they are awesome! When I go from my truck to the GN the factory halogen headlights on the car really suck, like they are not even on compared to the truck.

Is there anyone who makes a HID conversion for the 4x6 headlights?

In case you prefer stock looking headlights, I certainly do, I would recommend these. They're very bright LEDs, do the job and they're a great value:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4651-H4652-H4666-H4656-Head-Light-Glass-Housing-Lamp-Chrome-4x6-LED-Kit-B/322177900131?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

In this photo I just have them in the outer positions, the stock hi beams still original. Since this picture was taken I've put another set into the hi-beam position.

Attachments

• Picture 301.jpg
    Picture 301.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 133
Last edited:
I don’t know how you guys live in that. I don’t like it when it’s 36 outside. I can’t even imagine -36. Hope it warms up soon for you guys up there.

I ask myself that almost every day.
And the sad part is its warmed up to -36'. It was -60 last week, with the windchill. Base temp was -40'C no need to convert as that's where the scales meet.

ab32b3b75e063f7d3705a9ed1554a871.jpg

I’ve been complaining because it rains or it’s too cold to work on the cars on my days off here but I guess it could be much worse. I guess it gives you plenty of time to work on your car as long as the garage is heated there.

I have heat in my garage, but it's to expensive to keep it on. GN sits usually from early November to early May.
Plus we got a big snow dump Sunday night. I had snow drifts almost waist deep. Spent an hour and a half last night with the snowblower.

In case you prefer stock looking headlights, I certainly do, I would recommend these. They're very bright LEDs, do the job and they're a great value:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/H4651-H4652-H4666-H4656-Head-Light-Glass-Housing-Lamp-Chrome-4x6-LED-Kit-B/322177900131?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

In this photo I just have them in the outer positions, the stock hi beams still original. Since this picture was taken I've put another set into the hi-beam position.

Those look good, very stock appearing. I'll check them out.
Are the plug and play?

Are the plug and play?

If you are using halogen or HID, use a relay harness as Earl says to take the load off the headlight switch.

If you are using LED, you can use the factory wiring. It's easiest to get H4 (3 prong) for the low beams and H1 (2 prong) for the high beams.
You will need to re-pin the low beam sockets as the H4's will fit but are wired differently.

You will need to swap the top and right side connectors as looking at the sockets on the car. Insert a small straight blade screwdriver in the front to depress the tab and pull the connector out the back. Bend the tab out, swap and reinstall.
The H1 highs plug right in.

IMG_4911.JPG

Are the plug and play?

These are LEDs, so contrary to what Earl has suggested, just install and plug them in to the existing harness.
yup.gif

The best part, besides being just as bright as any, is the price.

Attachments

• Picture 081.jpg
    Picture 081.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 81
  • 6000k LED.jpg
    6000k LED.jpg
    269.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 6000K cool white.jpg
    6000K cool white.jpg
    326 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
These are LEDs, so contrary to what Earl has suggested, just install and plug them in to the existing harness.
yup.gif

The best part, besides being just as bright as any, is the price.

I just ordered these. I’ve been looking at LEDs but I want to keep the factory look. Stock sealed beams aren’t cutting it anymore.

I just ordered these. I’ve been looking at LEDs but I want to keep the factory look. Stock sealed beams aren’t cutting it anymore.

You've made a wise choice. You saved a bunch of money and stock looking is the way to go, in my opinion. I've had these units on my car for 2 years now, with no issues. They are like DAY and night compared to the stockers. You're really going to like them. One thing, as in the diagram above in post #15, you will have to change around the wiring on the plug in order to have the high beam selector correct.

its been my experience , that the LEDs DO NOT project out as far as H4, or halogen lights,
yes their brighter, but do not illuminate down the road,
here in the sticks, its common to come across cattle ON THE ROAD, at night,
so lights that project out further is what I'd want.