Headlight Help (Won't Turn On)

holmesboy

Hi All,

While cruising my headlights suddenly went out, high beamed to get back home. I figured it was maybe a fuse, but upon examination of a few of the fuse panel diagrams on the forum, I can't seem to find one for the headlights. Is there a headlight fuse, or any other suggestions? I had a spare headlight switch, tried that, still no love.....

Thanks in advance.

It has been a few years, when my driving lights went out I replaced a 10amp fuse in the fuse panel. (I think)

Put a multi meter or fuse tester on each fuse till you find your culprit.

Do you have stock wiring or do you have a headlight wiring upgrade harness? if you do have the upgrade harness try bypassing it to see if that fixes the problem.

If the high beams work and lows do not it's the dimmer switch or wires melted at it's connector.

Both low and high work off fusible link B that feeds the headlight switch with built in circuit breaker.

When it's ON power is fed to the yellow wire on the dimmer switch and it switches power between the light green high beam wire and the tan low beam wire.

If the high beams work the switch should be checked on low beams for power on the tan wire at the dimmer switch connector.

It's also possible the tan wire is intermittant or open at the C100 connector in the bulkhead where the tan wire from the dimmer switch goes out into the engine bay.

Tan wires are low beam power in this circuit you need to trace them.

Dimmer switch is about half way up the steering column bottom left side facing the windshield.

It's operated by a lever rod attached to the stalk mechanically, I assume it feels like it's clicking properly and trying to activate?

Could be mechanical, electrical bad switch or possibly melted wiring at the connector which more easily happens with upgraded headlights and higher current draw without using an aftermarket harness.

Thanks salvagev6. Will trace and test the suggested wires. I just realized that my dimmer switch is not staying locked in the high beam position. Can that be the problem? If I hold it in the high beams will come on but when it returns still no low beams.

Sounds busted to me I'd start there, remove the lower plastic piece over the fuse panel two sheet metal screws and one 10mm wrench nut near the gas pedal.

Then remove the A/C duck and hose and you should have better access to it to check mechanical and electrical operation/wiring.