Header seal

& the winner is..........
Bare metal!

Or at least that is what has held better for me this time. Not being sure which would be the better way to seal the headers to the heads & taking into account all good advice I'd been given here I decide to seal the drivers side header with Ulra Copper & the passenger side I mounted metal to metal. I started getting a "tick tick" a while back & was only able to boost to 9#'s in first gear. Sure enough the Permatexside had the leak. Keep in mind the heads were fairly fresh & the header mating surface in excellent condition. I'm not shocked it went, I've put quite a few passes on it. I've got a leak under the turbo to the intake also but only under boost.
It's time again to freshen stuff up. I think higher boost has taken it's toll on some things. I have had the oil professionally tested (Titan) & a test done at the radiator shop to see if the head gaskets were blown. I also did a comp./leakdown test.
Everything turned out great!
Boy am I glad too,
I was getting nervious because I have had a few nasty sounding backfires when I was dialling in my alky kit & here recently when the header seal started going.

Old, torn-up, Fel Pro metal gaskets, reused for the 6 or 7th time, with a smidgen of black goo from a tube on both sides. GB

I hit the send button too soon. I'm using ultra Grey, Because it was the only thing I had at the track when A gasket let go. That over a year ago. No problems.

Ya never know, could've been user error:eek:
I have put a lot of passes on the car this last summer. I'm not too suprised something gave. I'm just glad it was only a few gaskets!:D

I used spray paint!

The crome spray paint with aluminum in it, my dad suggested it to me, i sprayed it on heavy, bolted it on and torked it down, after running it i retightened them, no leaks or even ticking, since it was done during the hop up in mid 2000.

Thats a new one on me.
I guess "Father really does know best".
Maybe I'll try that on one side & see if it last longer than the bare metal side.

By the way, does your Father know your giving away his secrets:confused: LOL.