head work

bob brady

3 black cars
my buddy tells me that a set of champions will really wake my car up! are the aluminum heads worth it ($1695), how much should i expect on an 11.5 sec car?

my buddy tells me that a set of champions will really wake my car up! are the aluminum heads worth it ($1695), how much should i expect on an 11.5 sec car?

Probably worth another 0.3-0.5 seconds. A lot of people run the ported irons to mid 9’s. With the current price difference between the ported iron vs aluminum, I would get aluminum if you’re buying new. If you aren’t going to port the aluminum, the ported irons flow within 10-20cfm of as cast aluminum’s.
With that being said, if you can find a set of used champion irons they will bolt up with the current head bolts/studs and you can keep going fast for less. I’ve been 10.5@128 at 24psi with champion irons and a too tight converter.

I heard that Champion proper isn't doing port work to irons anymore, only aluminum heads now. But I could be wrong.............. I have a set of ported irons that I want to send back to them to be checked over and refurbished. Ran consistent mid-low tens with them.

Next build will have CNC'd T/A aluminums.

What is your combo? You might have more in it with just some more boost or tuning, which is cheaper and easier than changing heads.

Every where I looked they are $1,895.

It may be on champion site. The last I looked the ported irons were $1195, but they’re about $1395 if you can find them now. Tom told me the website hasn’t been updated in years the last I spoke with him.

It may be on champion site. The last I looked the ported irons were $1195, but they’re about $1395 if you can find them now. Tom told me the website hasn’t been updated in years the last I spoke with him.
Yes that's probably it. I talked to him not to long ago as well. I have his quote in a email.

Yup that's it.
Website says
new specials coming soon!
September 2003
Lol

If you want and have the combo to run 10 sec change the heads,if your going to run in the 11s leave the stock heads on there till they give.with a set of ported heads there are lots of other changes that you should do to take advantage of the flow,otherwise you will just make the same power at a lower boost level.

If you do get a set of aluminum’s I would definitely do alil clean up on them as a as cast set of aluminum’s flow as well as a set of ported Iorns . So to make it actually worth it imo you should do alil porting on the aluminum’s to get your moneys worth out of them imo

If you want and have the combo to run 10 sec change the heads,if your going to run in the 11s leave the stock heads on there till they give.with a set of ported heads there are lots of other changes that you should do to take advantage of the flow,otherwise you will just make the same power at a lower boost level.
What would these changes be?
I'm building a engine and will be using the aluminum heads as well.

Any sentence that starts with ''my buddy told me'', is usually crap.

If you have a mid 11 street car it's already "waked up". That being said if your heads are untouched, odds are they're in dire need of a valve job. I'd pull them, put OS valves in there so you get new meat on the intake seats, replace any exhaust seats if needed (there's not OS valve for that side), do a bowl port, clearance the pedestals for future roller rockers, and cut the exhaust guides for seals. Verify your springs are good, replace if not, then bolt them back on.

You'll get damn near all the benefits from new heads for a lot less money.

Any sentence that starts with ''my buddy told me'', is usually crap.

If you have a mid 11 street car it's already "waked up". That being said if your heads are untouched, odds are they're in dire need of a valve job. I'd pull them, put OS valves in there so you get new meat on the intake seats, replace any exhaust seats if needed (there's not OS valve for that side), do a bowl port, clearance the pedestals for future roller rockers, and cut the exhaust guides for seals. Verify your springs are good, replace if not, then bolt them back on.

You'll get damn near all the benefits from new heads for a lot less money.
my buddy told me to follow your advice!

What is your trap speed at 11.5 . Over 120mph? My buddy runs 11.0-11.1 on a stock engine with JUST valve springs at 124mphs and that's stock rusted suspension from 1986 . Just turn up boost