Head Help

Turbo Keith

TURBO KEITH
Our 86 T Type just started blowing a little smoke , smells like oil , I have done a compression test and all cylinders was 150 , The up pipe is dry as a bone and I actually took the ta49 off and put the stock turbo back on and she still blows some smoke . It only smokes after its warmed up tho . My question is what is my options without taking the heads off ? Valve seals maybe . Any advice is appreciated . Keith

I would do a leak down test it will tell you where it’s leaking from . It will tell you if it’s leaking from the valve guides , head gasket ect. You can get a leak down tester from harbor fright for cheap.

how many miles , has anything been done to it to your knowledge

what color is the smoke ?? if blueish well that usually means rings, white grayish is usually head gasket or valve seats or etc.

I would do a leak down test it will tell you where it’s leaking from . It will tell you if it’s leaking from the valve guides , head gasket ect. You can get a leak down tester from harbor fright for cheap.
Thank You Dank GN

Does it smoke all the time? More @ idle? Less? During normal driving? in boost?

Need more info..

Does it smoke all the time? More @ idle? Less? During normal driving? in boost?

Need more info..
It does not smoke on a cold start up , it doesn't smoke after warmed up idling but it will smoke when you give it some gas and let off while its idling . I have a video I'm trying to load up . I had a friend follow me and he said it smelled like oil just going down the road .

It does not smoke on a cold start up , it doesn't smoke after warmed up idling but it will smoke when you give it some gas and let off while its idling . I have a video I'm trying to load up . I had a friend follow me and he said it smelled like oil just going down the road .

Pull the plugs to see if they are showing any signs of oil or fuel.

If it only does it when you rev it up at idle and not other time, what is your AFR when you rev it up and let off?

From the sounds of your last comment it sounds as if it’s going fuel rich while giving it gas and letting off at idle.

If that is the case, look at your fuel pressure and AFR as you give it gas and let off.

If driving around is normal, WOT is normal, idle is normal, and the plugs look good, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

It just sounds like the romping of the throttle at idle is puffing out the unburned fuel when you let off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stock turbo drain?

mine was doing same exact thing and it was the turbo. couldnt see oil in down pipe. had to pull down pipe off and look on back side of turbine wheel and could see shiny streaks.

Pull the plugs to see if they are showing any signs of oil or fuel.

If it only does it when you rev it up at idle and not other time, what is your AFR when you rev it up and let off?

From the sounds of your last comment it sounds as if it’s going fuel rich while giving it gas and letting off at idle.

If that is the case, look at your fuel pressure and AFR as you give it gas and let off.

If driving around is normal, WOT is normal, idle is normal, and the plugs look good, I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

It just sounds like the romping of the throttle at idle is puffing out the unburned fuel when you let off.

I have pulled the plugs and they look fine , The BLM is always at 138 at idle after warmed up . And at wot throttle in a 3rd gear pull its always in the 820 to 830 range , milli volts and first gear pull the mv is spot on , 775 to 780 .

I have pulled the plugs and they look fine , The BLM is always at 138 at idle after warmed up . And at wot throttle in a 3rd gear pull its always in the 820 to 830 range , milli volts and first gear pull the mv is spot on , 775 to 780 .

If the plugs look good, the turbo looks good, no evidence of oil found, compression test is good, idles fine, drives fine, and goes WOT fine, then I wouldn’t chase it. If anything, do a leak down test for safe measure.

If the plugs look good, the turbo looks good, no evidence of oil found, compression test is good, idles fine, drives fine, and goes WOT fine, then I wouldn’t chase it. If anything, do a leak down test for safe measure.

Yes Sir , I plan to get a tester this week , Thank you guys for the help as always . Keith

I have a video but it wouldn't let me upload it , PM me your number if you want me to text it to you , either way Thanks Guys
Keith post your video to youtube then post the link here, its easier then trying to post here.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk