Head Gaskets

jimmag

Just ran at Lebanon yesterday ,turned a respectable 10.05 ,then hot lapped looking for those nines.Ran 10.50and when I came back to the pits there was oil in the water ,oil and water puked out the breather. Oil level was low but no "cream "in the oil. Haven't torn it down yet (too depressed ) but WTF .This motor had the heads off last year ,Cometic gaskets .What am I doing wrong. This time Im going to do it myself Im going broke with this car .I saw an old post that said to re-torque the heads after a few heat cycles and that was't done .Is that why it blew ? Would appreciate some help,Thanks guys,Jim Maguire

What timing, fuel, boost and cam? Chances are the problem had little to nothing to do with the gaskets or torqueing procedure

bison said:
What timing, fuel, boost and cam? Chances are the problem had little to nothing to do with the gaskets or torqueing procedure

timing Ill have to check the log,fuel was 104,max boost 28lbs and the cam is the 212/212. I'm really getting disgusted I just spent $4500 in setting up the suspension and a couple of minor things.Plus our 2010 SS Camaro blew the rear yesterday .Good news it ran a 9.80 @141 best to date.This is the most expensive hobby I have ever had .I think if I start smoking Crack I'd save money! jim

I don't know your whole combo but I know I wouldn't run boost that hi with 104. Put C-16 in it next time I don't think hot lapping helped it

jimmag said:
timing Ill have to check the log,fuel was 104,max boost 28lbs and the cam is the 212/212. I'm really getting disgusted I just spent $4500 in setting up the suspension and a couple of minor things.Plus our 2010 SS Camaro blew the rear yesterday .Good news it ran a 9.80 @141 best to date.This is the most expensive hobby I have ever had .I think if I start smoking Crack I'd save money! jim

That's a lot of cylinder pressure for 104 octane. It wouldn't tolerate much timing in 3rd gear either.

fuel pressure at wot?volts to pumps?if you had a good afr and hurt it not enough octane.

Mr.Spool said:
fuel pressure at wot?volts to pumps?if you had a good afr and hurt it not enough octane.

It could be too much timing too even if fuel delivery and octane are high enough.

When ever running multi layer gaskets, "which i don't like to run" some guys will take em apart, clean and copper spray each layer top and bottom, new head bolts and re torque after a few heat cycles. Iv have problems with multi layers in past N/A sbc builds. To much work. Also pay attention to the quench area at your builders torque spec. Also 110 has done me great in the past, but i understand these cars are a different animal at the level your at. Sounds like a perfect candidate for Alky!!! Then 9s are yours
Just my .02, i haven't got mine running yet.
Good luck

Thanks Joe

It could be too much timing too even if fuel delivery and octane are high enough.could be,but seeing what the fuel system is doing is critical.28 psi on 104 to me is so risky even with low timing.

Mr.Spool said:
It could be too much timing too even if fuel delivery and octane are high enough.could be,but seeing what the fuel system is doing is critical.28 psi on 104 to me is so risky even with low timing.

I finally got to read my log,24 lbs boost,15* timing throughout most of the run, A/F 10.5-11.38,engine temp 170* ,max rpm 5700,forged internals,ported irons,212/212 cam ,girdle and on this 10.05 run it was already blowing smoke so I assume head gasket was blown. Heads will be off today Sunday hopefully and maybe that will tell me something.Hate to put it together with out problem being fixed.Wild card is I had 93 pump gas in before I went to the track .Siphoned it out ,let the car run gas out and then filled it with 104.I can tell you I will never use pump gas again.i have seen the pump gas vs racing gas and now Ive learned .Anyone have suggestions? Thanks,jim Maguire

jimmag said:
I finally got to read my log,24 lbs boost,15* timing throughout most of the run, A/F 10.5-11.38,engine temp 170* ,max rpm 5700,forged internals,ported irons,212/212 cam ,girdle and on this 10.05 run it was already blowing smoke so I assume head gasket was blown. Heads will be off today Sunday hopefully and maybe that will tell me something.Hate to put it together with out problem being fixed.Wild card is I had 93 pump gas in before I went to the track .Siphoned it out ,let the car run gas out and then filled it with 104.I can tell you I will never use pump gas again.i have seen the pump gas vs racing gas and now Ive learned .Anyone have suggestions? Thanks,jim Maguire

There was probably 2 gallons of 93 octane in there. You probably had 102 octane if you added 15 gallons of 104. That's not enough octane. 21-22psi would have been about as far as I'd have gone with that octane. Alky or 110 octane would have been enough. You shouldn't let you pump run with low fuel. It will get hot and reduce it's life. You can pump out the tank easily. There's a test lead in the harness back where the harness comes along the left valve cover. I think it's a grey wire. Supplying 12v to it will run the pump. Use a piece of hose on the fuel rail to pump it out.

bison said:
There was probably 2 gallons of 93 octane in there. You probably had 102 octane if you added 15 gallons of 104. That's not enough octane. 21-22psi would have been about as far as I'd have gone with that octane. Alky or 110 octane would have been enough. You shouldn't let you pump run with low fuel. It will get hot and reduce it's life. You can pump out the tank easily. There's a test lead in the harness back where the harness comes along the left valve cover. I think it's a grey wire. Supplying 12v to it will run the pump. Use a piece of hose on the fuel rail to pump it out.

thanks a lot for the info ,really appreciated. I only added ten gallons of 104 ,so it is even worse.I will never,ever ,ever put pump gas in that car(not running alky) especially after pulling the heads what a pain in the butt .There is a lot of crap to take off .I think it worse punishment for me than spending the 2grand.
If you Google stupid f...k ,my name will pop up,thanks again,jim maguire

Why don't you put an alky kit on it? We ever going to see you up on the Pike? Was the only TR up there Saturday nite that I know of.

TR Custom Parts said:
Why don't you put an alky kit on it? We ever going to see you up on the Pike? Was the only TR up there Saturday nite that I know of.

Mark,i soon as I get it running again Ill be up.As far as Alky Ted Jannetty disconnected it.It's still on the car just the lines are disconnected. Ted doesn't like Alky and now that Otto is out of the picture I'm not sure which way to go.My thinking is that Alky even with 104 would help keep the intake air temp down. Whats your opinion? jim

Alky will work. You are still going to be cylinder pressure limited at a certain point. The car should run 9's without issue if the rest of the fuel system is up to par.

Mark,i soon as I get it running again Ill be up.As far as Alky Ted Jannetty disconnected it.It's still on the car just the lines are disconnected. Ted doesn't like Alky and now that Otto is out of the picture I'm not sure which way to go.My thinking is that Alky even with 104 would help keep the intake air temp down. Whats your opinion? jim

If you got it, you should use it! What brand is it?