Head Gasket

GNJoe86

Still Stockish
I finally blew up my stock head gaskets. What do you guys recommend for replacing them that wont require me any major machining. I plan to have the heads decked but I want to clean the block myself. I was thinking of the RJC head gasket set. Is there any disadvantage to upping the compression with a head gasket thickness change? O ya and will head studs work on an all stock car, fit wise I don't want to have to move the motor. Any info helps guys.

Thanks in advance, Joe

RJC would be fine as well as the Cometics. Another route would be; call Full Throttle Speed and get the full gasket set except the valley pan for around 80 bucks. It is the Vicotor Reinz gasket set. Everything is there including the turbo drain gasket, front cover, plenum bla, bla,bla. Also the head gaskets are the factory Graphite style. I have used over 15 sets without any issues.

More compression will give you a better throttle response, you will raise the compression when you mill you heads any way but not to make any noticeable difference. I think the factory compression ratio is around 8 to 1 and most of the fast engine are build around 9 to 1 or better. My stage II motor is built at 9 to 1.

Some times milling the heads and thinner head gaskets may cause the intake ports to not align properly and you may have to oval out the intake bolt holes for the bolts to line up as well.
Make sure to use some sort of sealant on the new head bolts, they all hit water jackets if I am not mistaken. I always use the copper silicone RTV and some use the black RTV, some use pipe thread sealer as well as Loctite.

Good luck

Prasad

Studs may not work unless you pull the engine or insert some of the studs after the heads are in place.

Studs may not work unless you pull the engine or insert some of the studs after the heads are in place.

Use the RJC hg's, and the arp studs. they have an allen head to you can remove them all before you pull the heads. I did them over the winter, and they have been great. They have seen 27 psi with no problems. Jason

Use the RJC hg's, and the arp studs. they have an allen head to you can remove them all before you pull the heads. I did them over the winter, and they have been great. They have seen 27 psi with no problems. Jason

Yes, as long as they have the allen provision on the studs, you can take them in and and out while they are in the car. Do not use loctite one the threads, the studs will never come out.

Prasad

Depends on pistons. The HG is a fuse.. whereby you detonate the motor and pooof goes the HG.

If you have cast pistons and use bullet proof HG's.. when you detonate the motor.. gasket wont go.. but a nice hole through a piston requiring a complete rebuild vs 30 dollar HG.

On a stocker.. surface heads, clean both surfaces with brake cleaner.. use the Felpro Pt9441.. aset of ARP head bolts(not studs) and tq them down 30, 60, 80.

Keep the motor out of knock.. and if you dont have a scantool(scanmaster).. this should be on your #1 list of things to get.

Lst tidbit.. Felpro gaskets have warranty in case you screw up.. shhh.. dont tell anyone.

Depends on pistons. The HG is a fuse.. whereby you detonate the motor and pooof goes the HG.

If you have cast pistons and use bullet proof HG's.. when you detonate the motor.. gasket wont go.. but a nice hole through a piston requiring a complete rebuild vs 30 dollar HG.

On a stocker.. surface heads, clean both surfaces with brake cleaner.. use the Felpro Pt9441.. aset of ARP head bolts(not studs) and tq them down 30, 60, 80.

Keep the motor out of knock.. and if you dont have a scantool(scanmaster).. this should be on your #1 list of things to get.

Lst tidbit.. Felpro gaskets have warranty in case you screw up.. shhh.. dont tell anyone.

simple and clear !