Head Gasket Recommendations

captndave737

I'm getting mixed opinions on which to use. Cometic or RJC Bullet Proof.
Which are you using? Why? and would you change?

109 block, .020 over

I'm getting mixed opinions on which to use. Cometic or RJC Bullet Proof.
Which are you using? Why? and would you change?

109 block, .020 over
IF RJC are bullet proof, then something below may go first. I would rather blow the head gasket. What does Richard say?

I'd go with plain ole graphite stock style gaskets.

Why put up with all the extra steps for MLS to work right when you don't have to?

Yup my buddy blew his first Stock HG after hitting 40lbs on the shift into 3rd! Slap another stocker on and went back out street racing.

Poo , poo

Attachments

• IMG_1259.jpg
    IMG_1259.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 240
IF RJC are bullet proof, then something below may go first. I would rather blow the head gasket. What does Richard say?

Richard is fine with either. He likes the Cometic only because they're less of a pain to put in. With GN1 Crank, Billet mains and a girdle I hope nothing below goes.

Richard is fine with either. He likes the Cometic only because they're less of a pain to put in. With GN1 Crank, Billet mains and a girdle I hope nothing below goes.
I believe he use Cometic in my build he finish a couple of weeks ago. I had told him to use what he wanted as I trust him. Like you he did a forged bottom end in this stroker motor. Just waiting for them to put the motor in the car. Good luck with your build.

Graphite gaskets act like a fuse. Cheaper to change headgaskets than possibly damaging the rotating assembly.

I cringe a little every time I read 'a head gasket if a fuse'. It's a necessary evil.

Since Richard is decking your block and shaving your heads, I have to assume he knows how to make it flat and smooth enough to work with MLS gaskets. I'd just prefer graphite on a street car due to availability and price.

In my case I'm locked in to custom .027" gaskets because I machined my intake to work with them back when I was trying to use those POS speed pro hypers. I'd love to have plain ole parts store gaskets but I'm locked into my $100/ea Cometics and the wait time.

I cringe a little every time I read 'a head gasket if a fuse'. It's a necessary evil.

Since Richard is decking your block and shaving your heads, I have to assume he knows how to make it flat and smooth enough to work with MLS gaskets. I'd just prefer graphite on a street car due to availability and price.

In my case I'm locked in to custom .027" gaskets because I machined my intake to work with them back when I was trying to use those POS speed pro hypers. I'd love to have plain ole parts store gaskets but I'm locked into my $100/ea Cometics and the wait time.

I'm not sure if my block was decked or not. He was only doing it if needed. My heads are new GN1 ported irons.
I was thinking of going with the RJC because they're .015 thinner than stock so alittle more compression.

I believe he use Cometic in my build he finish a couple of weeks ago. I had told him to use what he wanted as I trust him. Like you he did a forged bottom end in this stroker motor. Just waiting for them to put the motor in the car. Good luck with your build.
We just had this conversation yesterday at his shop. He prefers Cometic but will use others if that's what the customer wants.

You shouldn't have a problem with hard part failure,both rjc and Mls cosmetic gasket will blow/torch the cometic is 3 layer and rjc is 1.cometics will take more abuse but you need the right machine work.

I'm not sure if my block was decked or not. He was only doing it if needed. My heads are new GN1 ported irons.
I was thinking of going with the RJC because they're .015 thinner than stock so alittle more compression.

I wouldn't consider MLSs on a factory finish if it hasn't been decked.

As far as the gasket being .015" thinner for more compression, I can just move your wristpin down .015" and do the same thing.

The bad part about running real thin head gaskets is it might force you to machine the intake. Once that's done, you're pretty much locked into running MLSs even if you don't want to. (like I am)

That being said, if he's building your engine, go with what he wants. Your warranty might depend on it.

I wouldn't consider MLSs on a factory finish if it hasn't been decked.

As far as the gasket being .015" thinner for more compression, I can just move your wristpin down .015" and do the same thing.

The bad part about running real thin head gaskets is it might force you to machine the intake. Once that's done, you're pretty much locked into running MLSs even if you don't want to. (like I am)

That being said, if he's building your engine, go with what he wants. Your warranty might depend on it.

Hmmmm ... not so sure putting on what your engine builder wants is sound advice ... .he isn't the one that's going to be changing these out or dealing with the leaks ..

Still don't understand what the hangup is with running Graphites is .. heck they only hold 8 second power :(

Hmmmm ... not so sure putting on what your engine builder wants is sound advice ... .he isn't the one that's going to be changing these out or dealing with the leaks ..

Still don't understand what the hangup is with running Graphites is .. heck they only hold 8 second power