Having trouble with G Body replacement A/C hoses

mred355

HI guys. The A/C hoses on my 1987 Grand National were leaking. I ordered a new set from G Body and am not able to install them. All went good on the compressor and fit right over the radiator core support. The small pipe fit on the condenser with a bit of persuasion ; but the large pipe with reach the accumulator. Its not even close. Did anyone have this problem. G body said it hadn't heard of this happening. See enclosed pictures. Help is needed. Thanks Ed
174sm.jpg

Attachments

• 175sm.jpg
    175sm.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 67
  • 176sm.jpg
    176sm.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 68
  • 177sm.jpg
    177sm.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 178sm.jpg
    178sm.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 69

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Donations
$25.00
Tweak the bends on the long leg till its close and put it inside the accumulator/dryer first and lightly tighten the nut. Than mount it at the radiator brackets/clips last. It may have slignt tension but it won't hurt anything and it's very close actually.

It sure isn't worth the hassle trying to return it.

Last edited:

mred355

Thanks for the idea but I am not strong enough to tweak the pipe. Also the nut that attaches the pipe to the accumulator is plastic and could break or strip and all would be lost. This pipe cost almost $300 from G Body Parts and they say it is an exact replacement part, which it's not Doing twisting is would be difficult and the pipe has a pretty thin O ring and it might not seal. I would rather send it back as defective and hope they send a good one. Ed

Jerryl

Tall Unvaccinated Chinese Guy
Donations
$25.00
Thanks for the idea but I am not strong enough to tweak the pipe. Also the nut that attaches the pipe to the accumulator is plastic and could break or strip and all would be lost. This pipe cost almost $300 from G Body Parts and they say it is an exact replacement part, which it's not Doing twisting is would be difficult and the pipe has a pretty thin O ring and it might not seal. I would rather send it back as defective and hope they send a good one. Ed
Keep us posted.

mred355

I had them side by side and the new one is about two inches shorter. Ed
I emailed G Body parts 3 times and he told me things that made no sense. He didn't want to replace the hoses. Ok, instead of arguing with them, I called a pipe fitter friend of mine to see what he thought. He noticed 2 of the bends were not correct and one slight bend was missing. He brought over a couple of bending tools and we went slow bending a little at a time. After 2 hours we had the pipe fitting exactly right. I hope that was the only one that was bent wrong or there will be a lot of people with the problem. If they are made in China they are probably all the same. I wish all that order from G Body Parts a lot of luck. They weren't any help. I am glad it is done as it was a nightmare. Take care Guys and have a Happy Thanksgiving.

liquidh8

FWIW I had bought replacements from Highway stars, and the didn't fit well either. Same issues in the same area. But the a/c was also whacked. I have the tools so I tweaked the bends to get them to fit.

1KWIKSIX

FWIW I had bought replacements from Highway stars, and the didn't fit well either. Same issues in the same area. But the a/c was also whacked. I have the tools so I tweaked the bends to get them to fit.
Hmmm, that’s strange, cause my A/C lines from Highway Stars fit & work perfectly ‍♂️

SCOOBY DOO

I'M NOT A MONSTER, I'M JUST AHEAD OF THE CURVE!!!
Two words. Quality control. Ask Highway Stars and GBody where they were made. It might say on a tag on them or in the box they were packaged in. Check if they're sold on E-Bay...and where they're manufactured.

liquidh8

Hmmm, that’s strange, cause my A/C lines from Highway Stars fit & work perfectly ‍♂️
Mine not so much, but, so some bendy action is no biggie with the proper tools. I can also tell you the aluminum used on the compressor side manifold is significantly thinner.
I changed the line set from OEM because my crimps were leaking and it was the old hose.

Remove Ads From TurboBuick.Com

Yearly amount needed to remove ads from TurboBuick.Com
Goal
$12,000.00
Received
$2,246.00