have to shift to over drive before end of track need some help on what to do

GrandNational87

while im in third gear near the end of the track i start to hit red line.. i have a new tranny and shift kit made for low 12.s but i seem to be running out of rpm's so i shift into OD.. dont know if thats to good, but what can i do.. ive also heard that different tire size makes a difference but i dont know.. if any suggestions that would be great thanks..

either change to taller tire, change gears or shift slightly to higher RPMs in each gear if u can. Dont like to shift to OD!

What size tires are you running? 100 mph is way to low to have to shift into OD - unless you have very small tires or a taller than stock gear. I have a stock long block and was running 113 mph with 275/50/15 Nittos and now have been 118.9 mph with 27" tall QTPs. I think I'm around 5500 through the traps but I don't have a tach. (I don't think I'd have time to look at it if I did)

Lock the torque converter.

Switch to 28" tall tires.

Also know that the fatory tach is worthless. Do not use this to judge RPM. Use a scan tool like turbolink to determine RPM/mph to check for converter slippage.

ok thanks i get my scanmaster in i think like friday or hope so, then i will check that out.. thanks for the help

yeah no way at 100 mph are you at redline unless youre converter is trashed

what size tires and what rpm are you shifting at?

Those tires are too small. They will limit your top end potential by at least 5 mph in the 1/4.

255/50's will allow 110-113 mph. 225/50-16's are only 25" tall.

If they aren't hurting you now, they will be soon.

Originally posted by GrandNational87
so whats a good tire size to get for 16 inch wheels

255/50's are the same height as stock. You can run 110-113 mph before you have to worry about them hurting top end.