Have a new to me 86 GN, electrical question

Kyleh24

86 GN , 87 White T
I just got this 86 which is stock as best as I can tell. Initially the running light fuse (No 21) 20 amp was blown. I replaced it. Now everything appears to work but when I turn on the parking lights or full headlights, I lose the tach / boost guage and the clock part of the radio, but the radio still plays.
Anyone seen this, or have any ideas?

Thanks Kyle in GA

Adjust your dimmer switch with lights on...any change?
No. No change at all. Just after the indent it turns overhead and floor lights on, like it's supposed too. Do you think it's the rheostat in the dimmer?

Either dimmer switch or check the fuse.... tan 5 amp for dimming circuit.under dash fuse block

Either dimmer switch or check the fuse.... tan 5 amp for dimming circuit.under dash fuse block
You are correct. Tan fuse blown and blows again immediately after replacement and turning on headlights. Any tips on troubleshooting this circuit?

P.S. Here is an image that was a white car that I did some photoshop stuff on.

Attachments

• 1986_buick_grand_national_drawing_11.jpg
    1986_buick_grand_national_drawing_11.jpg
    704.5 KB · Views: 69
Yep, check the console light!
2) stock radio? If not check correct wiring there...
3)

Yep, check the console light!
2) stock radio? If not check correct wiring there...
3)
Help me understand what you mean by "check the console light" please. (Sorry for not understanding)

I can pull the radio tomorrow . It is a factory GM cassette, but not the original.

Thanks for all your help too!

Help me understand what you mean by "check the console light" please. (Sorry for not understanding)
If there is supposed to be a light near the computer connector above the empty tray, there is a socket but no bulb in it.

I can pull the radio tomorrow . It is a factory GM cassette, but not the original.

Thanks for all your help too!

If it has a center console, check the shift indicator light and harness....look for a grey wire that's connected where the under dash ash tray would've been in a non console car....
Very common for dimmer circuit to be pinched near shift light indicator....

No problem...lmk if you find it or not

IMG_console.jpg
If it has a center console, check the shift indicator light and harness....look for a grey wire that's connected where the under dash ash tray would've been in a non console car....
Very common for dimmer circuit to be pinched near shift light indicator....

No problem...lmk if you find it or not

Here is the socket I was describing. (I presume this was not normal?)The grey wire appears loose or not pinched where it goes under the console. I obviously didn't take the console apart so far.

Yes, that's the dash light for the non console ash try...(its crude, but normal)
Remove two screws under the console ashtray,
Remove clip from shifter and pull it up,
Pull up shifter trim,
The grey wire runs to light under there....

Yes, that's the dash light for the non console ash try...(its crude, but normal)
Remove two screws under the console ashtray,
Remove clip from shifter and pull it up,
Pull up shifter trim,
The grey wire runs to light under there....

I stopped in the middle of it all to tell you that you are Genius!!!!! Dead short on grey wire at shift indicator light!
Can I buy you a Paypal beer? Thanks a bunch.

Very cool, you're welcome.....thanks for posting up the fix for future searchers...cheers