Haulers

watz

It's time for a new truck. I was going to look at a Tacoma, 23mpg as gas prices will probably never be lower plus I have a buddy at Toyota and I can get a good deal (which means more money in the wallet for parts). Problem is what about the buick, it is on the road now but will be down for a rebuild soon. Which means I have to haul her around.

The 07 Tundra looks awesome, but it's 1st year and even if it's Toyota it's still first year. Make me nervous...

I have had a chevy the last 7 years and it's ok. I can't complain really, but the new ones have an air damn 5 - 6 inches off the ground. That isn't going to cut it even in snow let alone if I decide to go play a little. A left over 06 is pretty much the exact same as what I have now...that's no fun!

So what do you guys haul with? Or should I just get the tacoma and worry about hauling it later?

To me it looks like Ford f-150 has no power. The Dodge is ok I have read the fit and finish are sub par, even if they look good.

Or switch to a 3/4 ton, which would more than carry the car. BUT I live only 2 miles from work, which means no diesel because I would kill it short tripping. So that leaves 3/4 gassers which means 12 mpg.

So lets hear some opinions!

My father bought a fully loaded 06 Tundra and couldn't be happier. I own a 99 Tacoma and I'm surprised how little it costs to keep the car running. If I were you I would look into a Prerunner 4X4 with a V6 and the towing package. It's standard towing capacity is 3500lb, 6500lb max. But you can guess where I'm coming from having a family of Toyota's. ;)

47b6d823b3127cce8993faa7d03100000016108AauXLho3ZNg

47b6d823b3127cce8993feebd07f00000016108AauXLho3ZNg

Well, Dodge trucks are built/assembled in Mexico...when their body styles changed in '95, there phamplets showed them being built in Dodge City...but I later find out its Mexico and demanded my money back after placing an order for one and waiting 3 months.... So thats why I'm against a Dodge. I know people with Chevy's, Fords, Nissian, Toyota and all are happy.
Sure that air dam is just on a certain model? 6 inches off the ground for a utility truck doesn't sound right, maybe it was a sports version?

If I were you I would look into a Prerunner 4X4 with a V6 and the towing package.

Hey I know you. You're the guy leading the parade because your truck cant handle the GVWR. jk-I've never seen you. There are lot of people down here that do the same stuff and its just a pet peeve of mine. Its quite entertaining watching them spinning their tires on the boat ramps.

And everybody makes trucks and cars in Mexico. No reason to get your panties in wad over something you have almost no control over. Look at the VIN. Do you even know what you are looking for? I cant speak for the imports but the Big 3 have a number system and I'm sure its the same for the imports. If the first digit is the number 1 than it was built in the USA.2 is Canada and 3 is Mexico. Hey I bet you've been driving an "import" and didn't know it.

I hate trucks in general so I have no good advise to offer. My tow rig is my trusty 95 Roadmaster wagon. It can handle 6,000 pounds and cruise 80 comfortibly while doing it. It will also knock down 19MPG fully loaded and 25MPG unloaded. It puts every gas powered SUV to shame in that respect. And you cant beat the LT1 for both power and economy.

Well, Dodge trucks are built/assembled in Mexico...when their body styles changed in '95, there phamplets showed them being built in Dodge City...but I later find out its Mexico and demanded my money back after placing an order for one and waiting 3 months.... So thats why I'm against a Dodge. I know people with Chevy's, Fords, Nissian, Toyota and all are happy.
Sure that air dam is just on a certain model? 6 inches off the ground for a utility truck doesn't sound right, maybe it was a sports version?

Yea, I have checked maybe 14 of the new Chevy's. It's really funky, all of them are Z71 "off road" packages. Maybe by off-road GM meant my driveway?

So can your Tacoma pull your Buick on a flat bed trailer? Any issues with the "newer" version?

The bed looks pretty small, is it functional?

check gas mileage.........

dodge hemi , 14-16 friends truck
nissan V8 15 boss's truck
ford 5.4 15-16 shop truck
chevy 5.3 20-21 hiway
toyota????????

I tow with a 04,1/2 tn 5.3 chevy,
tandum axle trailer, with GN last trip to PHX from so cal was avg 14.5 towing!!!!!!!

dodge hemi , 14-16 friends truck
nissan V8 15 boss's truck
ford 5.4 15-16 shop truck
chevy 5.3 20-21 hiway
toyota????????

I tow with a 04,1/2 tn 5.3 chevy,
tandum axle trailer, with GN last trip to PHX from so cal was avg 14.5 towing!!!!!!!

I always knew there was a reason I love my diesel!! I can easilly do 14.5mpg pulling my loaded 24' enclosed race car hauler. :biggrin:

My Chevy gets 15-16 around town and 19ish on the highway clipping along. I couldnt be happier with it. Rides great and has plenty of grunt to drive. I mean I'm sure a V6 could tow fine, but the v8 will do it easier and get tons better mileage.

Jason

whats the price of diesel now?

compared to gas.........
I agree , for towing , diesel is the only way.
but your diesel cost approx 10k more than gas truck,
and hiway diesel here in socal, is 3.00 to 3.15 per gal
unleaded is 2.43,

take a lot of driving to make up the difference!

My Dodge HEMI will haul anything you want. The mileage isn't great but you can go anywhere you want. On the other hand, I have a new Dodge diesel which gets much better mileage and will also haul anything. There is a substantial difference in price but the diesel will still be running and getting that mileage when the others are going to the crusher. It more than equals out in the long run.
I also believe if you travel US 44 through St. Louis, you will see the Dodge truck plant just southwest of the city. A lot of the parts are built in Mexico and the motors are built in Canada but the pickup trucks are assembled in St. Louis.
The Toyota Tundras are built in Southern Indiana.
The closest thing to an American built car is the Toyota Camry. It's built in Georgetown Kentucky and 80 to 90 percent of the parts come from factories in the US.
If you want to buy American you are going to have to look elsewhere than the big 3. How ironic is that. :rolleyes:

Love my 05 Crew Cab Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax. 21+ running empty on the hwy, 18.5+ driving to work (14 miles each way) and 17+ pulling the GN on an open 22ft trailer. :tongue:
John

compared to gas.........
I agree , for towing , diesel is the only way.
but your diesel cost approx 10k more than gas truck,
and hiway diesel here in socal, is 3.00 to 3.15 per gal
unleaded is 2.43,

take a lot of driving to make up the difference!

Which is one of the MANY reasons I left KA

We pulled a 28' enclosed trailer w/ a show car over 20,000 miles w/ a 5.4 F-150 crew cab, never had a problem. then we went to a 48', 2 cars inside, golf cart and motorcycle behind a stock 6.0 F350, pulled head studs after 40,000 miles and drove from Tampa Fl to Atlanta (7 hrs) spewing out antifreeze. fixxed under warranty, but still was an issue.
For a simple day to day driver and hauler, look at the Toyota tundra, as well as the Nissan Titan. Never heard of an unhappy owner w/ either. I have a frontier w/ enough balls in the 6 cyl to haul a bass boat short distances.

Well it's a done deal. I couldn't get the diesel just because I was fearful of the short trip to work. I knew the thing would never warm up. So I went gas and got a 3/4 ton dodge hemi quad cab. I am getting about 13.6 mpg combo between hwy and in town. Hard to complain about that mileage when it's -15 degrees outside.

Sticker was 37,800 I got it for 25 plus trade in. Not to bad I didn't think...

Anyway it was $2,000 cheaper than the Tacoma and $4,000 cheaper than the chevy....

Which all adds up to more money for the Buick. Maybe when the car is "done" I can get a diesel :)

Well, Dodge trucks are built/assembled in Mexico...when their body styles changed in '95, there phamplets showed them being built in Dodge City...but I later find out its Mexico and demanded my money back after placing an order for one and waiting 3 months.... So thats why I'm against a Dodge.

Dodge's are either built in Mexico or St. Louis.

Most Diesels I see are made in the US.

My '97 V-10 was made in Mexico, my Dad's '98 Diesel in St. Louis.

Aside from the handprint in the paint (Frikken Mexican's :rolleyes: ), my Mexican Ram was a great truck, but the Diesel is much better.

we have a trailblazer ss. it has the 6.0L in it with 400hp, and its awd. it has a max trailer weight of 6800lbs. it does not get the greatest mileage but it is a great time to drive. never get tired of it. dave

Yup !

My Dodge HEMI will haul anything you want. The mileage isn't great but you can go anywhere you want. On the other hand, I have a new Dodge diesel which gets much better mileage and will also haul anything. There is a substantial difference in price but the diesel will still be running and getting that mileage when the others are going to the crusher. It more than equals out in the long run.
I also believe if you travel US 44 through St. Louis, you will see the Dodge truck plant just southwest of the city. A lot of the parts are built in Mexico and the motors are built in Canada but the pickup trucks are assembled in St. Louis.
The Toyota Tundras are built in Southern Indiana.
The closest thing to an American built car is the Toyota Camry. It's built in Georgetown Kentucky and 80 to 90 percent of the parts come from factories in the US.
If you want to buy American you are going to have to look elsewhere than the big 3. How ironic is that. :rolleyes:

I love my "DAWDGE"...come towing time, the fully loaded 40' Exiss is close to 15,000 lbs., no problem up and down "Mt. Egel"[thats correct spelling, by the way]lol... (a good test) on our way to the Nationals and Indy, BUT ! you hit the nail smack deadcenter in the head ! I LOVE Toyotas, (used to sell them), I think they are going to do VERY well with the "new" trucks they are going to bring for next year (diesel dually). I'd buy one, eyes closed...especially if they were built in Georgetown, KY.

Attachments

• New Trailer.jpg
    New Trailer.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 155