Has anyone popped out a freeze out plug on a new motor... Just wanted to know what could cause it??

qws2000

The freeze out plug, popped out a few hrs after the motor was installed and now Im wanting to know what causes that to happen?? I know if the plug was not set correctly it could let go.. Has this happened to many people? Wanting to know more about this problem; I could not find a lot of info on this...

I would say it is a combination of bad surface prep "block has to be spotless" and not sinking the plug deep enough and keeping it square to the bore.

Are you sure the block is not cracked?

Hairline cracks will do that?

We use Permatex #2. Scour the bore w/ scotchbrite and lac thinner.
I made a driver to hold the plug strait when driving. I make sure the plug is just inside of the beveled outer edge.
Some folks put the plug outside down, and give it a rap. Supposedly, this spreads the edge out, creating a tighter grip. Just like FOX News....We report, you decide.:D

Loctite makes a freeze plug retention compound for diesels but its kinda hard to find

Use the wide plugs made by Dorman. 565-027 is the part number. They are brass and very deep. Drive them in with a flat driver on the outer edge with a good sealer. They won't come out if the block is good and clean.

I want to thank everyone for all the input made.... I never seen a plug come out or heard of it... The motor is in very good hands, and 100% expect it to be perfect... I never heard of this happing so I got nervous when he said that the plug came out.... Once again thanks for input...

I just finished "correcting" a mess w/ plugs.. SBC w/ the plugs driven in only flush to the block...And, the so called engine builder use rtv as a sealer..:eek:
I had to pull the engine, and do all the plugs. All literally fell out.
Some so calleds should not be allowed to touch an engine. [And, this guy is/was a well known, big time fabricator/racer...Go figure.

I never heard of this happing so I got nervous when he said that the plug came out....
i have heard they pop out but regardless of the reason there is always going to be speed bumps when putting the cars together mechanical things always need attention.you have a nice car(y)

Bad head gasket will also blow a freeze plug out. Later StageII blocks have bosses that allow drilling/tapping for retention screws.