Has anyone every seen this before. "Happy Birthday Jim!"

TMH

I recently purchased an 87 GN with 11k miles from the original owner. The car is in pristine condition. Still has the factory tires and original paint. Besides a few oil changes and one factory recall repair, no other work has been performed this car. My mechanic and I put it on a lift to inspect the undercarriage. We noticed hand written notes on the frame above the transmission. You can clearly see Happy Birthday Jim. The other wording is directly under the transmission so we were not able to make out what it says. This can only be done with the tranny out of the car. The previous owner who I speak with regularly is adamant that the transmission was never removed from the car since he owned it brand new from the factory.

Has anyone ever come across this before? Have assembly line workers ever been known to do something like this or could this be one of one? I'm tempted to have the transmission pulled to see what else was written. Any thoughts?

IMG_3690.jpg
IMG_3689.jpg
IMG_3687.jpg

If you watch the documentary “Black Air” you’ll see the video of the the last GN built. The assembly line workers signed their names all over the engine compartment along with phrases regarding the end of an era. Kind of cool to see that on your transmission, workers just having a little fun on the job.

This is just great American camaraderie there. Having seen this before I can assure you that it is a positive.

On the flip side I have also seen factory assembled cars with junk stuffed in areas (by line workers) that would be otherwise impossible to access. Parts left off intentionally, rattles & squeaks installed out of spite! Most done during contract negotiations. So... Enjoy this, as it is way better!

Lastly my store had a car come in once that a real pain in the butt owned. When we racked the vehicle we found (written on the floor pan) "THIS GUY IS AN ASSHOLE" clearly written out by the last shop that had to deal with the guy. That's fun 'eh? So it goes both ways.