Hard to find GN project cars

RobbCrabtree

So I am in the market for a GN or a T-type project car. Hoping for an 86-87, but for the right price would go for some Hot-Air. Does anyone else find it difficult to find these cars up here? If I lived in Cali, they seem to be everywhere. I lived on the east coast in Georgia for a bit and could find them there too. I was just being super picky at the time. Now it seems I would almost settle for anything... almost. I know I can find cars here and there for $10k and up, but I wanted to redo one and get it back on the road. Half the fun of owning older cars to me.

Really I am just curious is they are few and far between up here, or if someone else knows where a good place to look is. I am always on Craigslist searching, but other than that it is pretty stale. I am in the Portland Metro area. Thanks everyone.

Your assessment is accurate. These special cars are very rare in this region in any condition. I recommend widening your search to additional States and plan on either driving it or hauling it back.

For example, I found my GN in BC Canada.

Found mine on eBay... came from Pennsylvania- (talked with owner via phone, before I bid on it)

Yah, I see lots on the east coast and canada. California has plenty. May have to make a trip out of it, but who knows, you may get lucky and find one close to home. Never hurts to see if anyone on here may know of one that perhaps isn't up for sale yet.

Well there's a '86 T Type in Victoria on Vancouver Island for $4950 canadian, and with our shitty dollar right now, it would be $3950 US. Not sure how much of a project your looking for but it could be what your looking for? You can find it on autotrader.ca

Just down the street from me there is a '84 GN for sale all original except the wheels, he's asking $10,000 canadian. He just put it up for sale tonight.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That one in Canada is a good find for sure. I wonder how difficult it is to bring something back from Canada? Title work and all that. I could of course just drive it back across the border, but getting it licensed and registered here in the states makes me curious. Project wise, this isn't too bad. I have had some rust buckets in my day, so I am not too afraid to dive in. Looks like the engine compartment is a little tired too.

That 84 GN for $10k is a hefty price tag. But I guess in good condition with lower miles would make it worth that. Thanks for the lead on this car. I will toss the idea around a bit. Maybe do some research on bringing one into the states.

I'm not sure what you would need to have check to bring it into the U.S. I know that if I were to buy a vehicle from the U.S. and bring it back to Canada it gets inspected for safety options (daytime running lights and something to do with car seats) and then you only have so long to have them installed to be able to insure the vehicle. And as far as getting insurance, I believe you can get special insurance to get across the border but once your across you would have to insure it in the U.S.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

That one in Canada is a good find for sure. I wonder how difficult it is to bring something back from Canada? Title work and all that. I could of course just drive it back across the border, but getting it licensed and registered here in the states makes me curious. Project wise, this isn't too bad. I have had some rust buckets in my day, so I am not too afraid to dive in. Looks like the engine compartment is a little tired too.

That 84 GN for $10k is a hefty price tag. But I guess in good condition with lower miles would make it worth that. Thanks for the lead on this car. I will toss the idea around a bit. Maybe do some research on bringing one into the states.

Check with the Dept. of Licensing and State Patrol- I bought my original GN in White Rock and also a 93 Chev S10 and brought them across- had to take them to State Patrol at the time, I've heard other recently that just went to get them licensed and didn't have to have vehicle inspected. So I don't think it's real difficult.

I live in Idaho an every once in a while I find a t type or a gn for sale between 1500 and 5k an that's just looking on craigslist not actually going out an doing the foot work to find one. Just watch craigslist and you'll see. I know a month ago there was an 85 or 6 t type for 1300. Theirs a gn in Boise that needs put back together, right meow. Lol

000_0318.jpg

LC2 ROD I sent you a message. I am still looking. Been watching craigslist like a hawk. Something will come up eventually. There are a lot out there that don't need work, or much at all, which is fine and dandy, just looking for something to do more than something to drive. I mean of course I want to drive it, but I just enjoy doing the work. Gives you something exciting to do when you get home from work at night and on the weekends. Anyways, still looking, and I appreciate all the advice and insight everyone has given.

RobbCrabtree, you still looking for a project? I am in Portland Area and actually have a hot air project been holding onto for years. Stored inside since 2008, needs gone through, some front end parts.

RobbCrabtree, you still looking for a project? I am in Portland Area and actually have a hot air project been holding onto for years. Stored inside since 2008, needs gone through, some front end parts.
im interested in the hot air project. call me at 510-393-3099 I'm in portland

Not sure how far you want to go. But I'm in Hawaii (Oahu) but I'm originally from From Washington tho. I seen this one today. Everything is there. Has some upgrades to motor, exhaust, headers, alky etc... Guy is in desperate need to sell it. He is moving back to mainland & needs money to do so. Was his daily for 4yrs. He purchased it from a military guy back then. Body is straight but def would need some work still before a solid paint job. Door jams have some surface rust as well. Interior is actually decent. Listed for $6995 but he said he'd sell it to me for $5500. I think he'd even go less. I just don't want another project, so I'll pass on it. Pics are below.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 167
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 199
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 173
I just found my 87 T on Vancouver Island last summer after searching for like 8 years. The exchange rate is insane right now! I would definitely suggest keeping an eye on the BC area. A black 87 T just sold up there for like $3500 U.S. and it was in pretty good shape too.

I just found my 87 T on Vancouver Island last summer after searching for like 8 years. The exchange rate is insane right now! I would definitely suggest keeping an eye on the BC area. A black 87 T just sold up there for like $3500 U.S. and it was in pretty good shape too.

That's a screaming deal. I'm not sure if I'll be that lucky, but I am looking myself. Just sold my '87 GN. Looking for a T tho now. Got one in mind so we'll see. I might be relocating back to WA. I'll be further south than you, but would be fun one day to do a meet up.

I met a guy at last years Turbo Thunder races thats thinking about selling his GN, has some great mods and lots of "stuff". Was at GNNorthwest for a while getting things done. Check him out, his user name is Dynalow00.
Lots of lucks

Well, I am still on the lookout. I just had my first kid back in November, so I have been dealing with all the craziness and changes of that. Finally got things back to normal, or what is our new normal, and I am back on the hunt. I see there is one in Portland for sale. An 84. Talked to him about a year and a half ago. Nice guy, but the GN needs a good amount of work. He seemed pretty mechanically inclined and was having no luck with it. Looks like it is still not running too. Really hoping to get into an 86 or 87, for obvious reasons. Anyone have anything they know of, or that they are getting ready to sell? Thanks.

Ya still have my 85, have since pulled the v6, sitting on stand and set a 350 in it. Then someone showed interest, so stopped messing with it. They wanted but didn't have money then. So it sits waiting for a new home or me to fix it.