Steve Monroe

DGC

rossler rebuilt 2004r has always shifted abruptly into second gear, enough to chirp rear tires even at modest acceleration. all other shifts are smooth. since i am not familiar
with the 2004r, do other's find this to be typical?

thanks,
dgc

Some buildings leave checkball out at position 5? I think . I have it written down somewhere. I ask the builder about it he said it was ok to install one.

rossler rebuilt 2004r has always shifted abruptly into second gear, enough to chirp rear tires even at modest acceleration. all other shifts are smooth. since i am not familiar
with the 2004r, do other's find this to be typical?

thanks,
dgc

It's a builder preference thing.

The 1-2 shift is different than the 2-3 and 3-4. The 2nd gear band has to stop the drum so it can start spinning the opposite direction. Making that operation as abrupt as possible minimizes wear on the band. But it can make that shift uncomfortable.

Easiest fix is stickier tires. :-p

What servo are you using? Do you know how large the hole in the VB plate for the 1-2 shift was drilled?

fyi, spoke with the folks at rossler transmission. shifting is controlled primarily by the tv cable adjustment. fewer rings on firewall side of cable bracket yields smoother shifts. more rings give more abrupt shifts. played with the adjustment and was able to get very smooth transitions (almost not noticeable) throughout entire range. note that gntype blogs covers this nicely.

for texast, carl rossler has is own 200-4r recipe, not an aftermarket kit. this build was done in 2008, and i highly recommend their shop.

dgc

All you are doing by adjusting the tv cable is lowering the internal pressure and if too loose you will have a problem with the pressure being too low and slipping clutches and band. We can agree that slipping clutches and a slipping band is a problem. This creates heat and wear.
www.tvmadeez.com has some real nice diagrams and commentary on the tv and is setup.
Rossler might be a big name but you are the only one I've heard of that has a 2004r assembled by them.
I'll stand by my advice that a tv cable needs to be adjusted where it is at full pull at wot. Any less and you are inviting probs.

You have a large hole in the VB plate and/or a blocked off accumulator. Both of which can be worked with to lessen the shift feel. I like it crisp. Anything more and you are going to break parts.

fyi, spoke with the folks at rossler transmission. shifting is controlled primarily by the tv cable adjustment. fewer rings on firewall side of cable bracket yields smoother shifts. more rings give more abrupt shifts. played with the adjustment and was able to get very smooth transitions (almost not noticeable) throughout entire range. note that gntype blogs covers this nicely.

for texast, carl rossler has is own 200-4r recipe, not an aftermarket kit. this build was done in 2008, and i highly recommend their shop.

dgc
Mess with it like that not feeling the shifts will burn the clutches is short order.

dgc

That's bad advice.

The TV cable adjusts itself. You push the detent, pull it all the way back.

Then run the throttle to WOT. When the valve bottoms out, the sheath will click through the adjuster and it's done. The WOT position is set. DO NOT try to soften your shifts by misadjusting the TV cable. You will burn the second gear band quickly from lack of pressure.

thanks to all for educating me on the 200-4r. set tv cable as described and am back to more abrupt shifts. the car was driven
~6 blocks around the neighborhood, with soft shifts, i am curious to know how easy it is to burn the clutches with very light driving
with the tv cable having only a few detents towards the firewall to yield soft shifts?

regards,
dgc